Tuesday, February 21, 2006

In the days when you were hopelessly poor, I just liked you more

Over the weekend I was having a chat with a buddy who gave me a large number of reasons he hates blogssomething about being a waste of time and clogging up cyberspace with useless information, making it difficult for him to find what he's really looking for when researching a subject, etc. However, I think the reason I've become addicted to the whole blogging thing is because somehow it fulfils some kind of Angela-Chase narrative fantasy I've had running through my head since the days of Angela's love for Jordan Catalano on "My So-Called Life." Only, I try not to say "like" as much as pretty much every character on that show. And besides, if someone were researching the topic of say, Rachel, what better place would there be to look?

Anyway, my subject for the day: the male ego. Is there a reason all the dudes I know seem to think they are amazing? Most of them (gentle readers excluded, of course) are mediocre at best. Really. Here's the background on my mini-tirade:

Remember a couple weeks ago and the incident involving the play and Brick Stupid Dave? And remember how after asking SEVERAL of my friends to come along, I finally got my friend Shawn (PLATONIC Shawn) to go as a favor. Anyway, my bff MK came over on Sunday night after visiting Platonic Shawn's ex, and she said, "Hey, you didn't tell me you had a date with Shawn." So I think back, realize she's talking about the play, and I told her it really wasn't a date, but that he'd gone with me after the BSD incident. So MK tells me that she just heard from P. Shawn's ex, the Pretty yet Socially Awkward Girl (PYSAG) (Parenthetically, I just looked up PYSAG and she's on here, but I guess it's a risk I'm going to have to take if I'm going to purge myself of whatever feelings these areexasperation, I think) that not only did I go on a date with P. Shawn, but also that P. Shawn said "Rachel's really into me, and she has been for a long time." Excuse me, but no. You know, it's one thing when someone you like kind of catches you in the act and talks about it, but it's entirely another when it's just someone's monumental ego talking. I mean, if a guy I actually were interested in were going around telling everyone that I used to have a big crush on him, I'd be annoyed, yes. But at least it would be true. Anyway, I'm totally planning on calling P. Shawn on it the next time I see him. I think I'm just going to say, "Platonic Shawn, I heard the best gossip the other day! I heard that I am in LOVE with you. Isn't that hysterical? For the record, I am not currently nor have I ever been into you, but if that changes, I'll let you know." I know it sounds a little mean, but honestly, these dudes all deserve to be knocked down a peg or two.

Anyway, as annoying as that was, I certainly didn't let it ruin my long weekend. Yesterday was totally a "me" day, and I absolutely loved it. I slept in until about 8, went to the gym for about 2 hours, went to my favorite restaurant (Sweet Tomatoes-- best salad in the world) and then to "Pride and Prejudice" at the Dollar Movie. Have you seen that one? Definitely go if you get a chance. I seriously had my doubts, especially because I kind of have a love-hate relationship with Kiera Knightly, but she did a FANTASTIC job. Plus also, I really liked the guy who played Bingley. Simon Woods, I think is his name. I love red-heads. Kind of looks like a grown-up version of cute little Rupert Grint. Anyway, the show was very fun, and I enjoyed it very much. Then I went and got some pictures developed and took a swing by the mall. I found a GREAT dress at Dillards, which I'm pleased to say I'm wearing even as I type this, and then spent a good amount of time at Barnes and Noble. It was the perfect day.

So today I'm back to the old grind, but things are more than bearable, especially as this is only a four-day work week. Hooray! This time tomorrow I'll likely already be planning my weekend.

Also, I want to give a shout out to my good friend SP, who got courageous and kissed a boy in London named after one of the founding fathers. Just up and planted one on the fella. Way to be liberated, girlfriend. Also, way to not care what people think and to do whatever you want. I'm going to do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home