Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Like instructions in Afrikaans, I don't follow...

Have you ever had one of those experiences where you feel like you're a huge mess until you meet someone else whose problem is worse than yours? It can really put things into perspective. Sometimes we start thinking we've got it pretty bad, but when we hear about others' trials, we realize we're getting off pretty easy.
You know, I like to mope and moan when the littlest thing doesn't go my way. I'm a big wimp, really. I generally acknowledge my life is much better than I deserve, but that is really reinforced when I hear about the things some of my loved ones are going through. Lately, I've been crying a lot, but it hasn't been because I've stubbed my toe or someone has snubbed me. I cried when I saw one of my besties unhappy recently. She's had a run of bad luck, and she's typically so strong, it's awful to see her down. I know it's a temporary thing, but knowing she's sad makes me want to a) feed her ice cream (or apple pie) and b) beat up the people giving her issues. Plus also, I wish I could do something to help her with the physical hardships, and the uncertainty with all kinds of other things in her life. But I don't know where to begin to help, and it's awful.
Once, a while back, a friend sat in my car telling me about some crazy things going on with her family. I love this girl so much! I had no idea any of it was going on, and had I been in her shoes, I would have wanted to keep it to myself as well. No one particularly likes to air the dirty laundry, right? However, when I've been in my deepest despair, she's been one of my main cheerleaders. Sometimes we can't fix the problem, but we can try to make life more bearable-- for the two of us this involves a little game where we discuss who amongst our mutual acquaintance we'd like to pair up in a boxing match, and who would win. It's amazing what this will do for one's mood.
The most recent personal trial I've learned about is a concept so foreign to me I don't know where to begin to help. The person in question is a friend who says he doesn't feel anything. No anger, no malice, no discontent, no pain, but also no connection, and worst, no love. These feelings of apathy are keeping him from so much happiness, and at best he gets fleeting glimpses of emotion. If anything, I'm the type of person who feels everything too deeply. I used to count it as one of my biggest weaknesses, probably because as a child I was always being cautioned to "control the emotions." Really, I remember that as the battlecry of my youth. But given the alternative in extreme, the world my friend lives in, I'd pick risking immense pain every time for the opportunity to love in any form. Loving someone doesn't mean everything comes up daisies-- in fact, it often means you hurt even more, on your love's behalf. At the risk of again sounding insincere, I really am blessed to love most of the people I come in contact with. It can be a burden, but it is never a curse. You would think such extremes in personalities between my friend and me would lead to balance. Unfortunately, everyone is left unfulfilled and frustrated, and I just don't know how to begin to help, nor that my help is even wanted. He and I are opposites, because he doesn't hate where I love. Where I love, he is indifferent-- less to me than to most others, but I ache in his behalf. How do you help someone with that kind of trial?
I figure so long as my burden is light, I ought to be out doing good. I'd love to start with helping those I love most, but what should I do?

3 Comments:

At June 10, 2009 at 3:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Buy him a bicycle - probably a singlespeed.

 
At June 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM , Blogger Sara said...

You are such a sweetheart Rachel. I, too, feel like I love too deeply, at times--enough to get myself so hurt. I also have had the struggles of dealing with apathy in the people I love--most often due to outside influences though. At any rate, I understand, to a certain degree, the trouble of the trial. I feel so blessed to know you and have such a wonderful example of charity, through you. Love you.

 
At June 11, 2009 at 11:44 AM , Blogger Terry and Meilea said...

Just be You!!! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home