Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I Couldn't Hold Out Any Longer!

Forgive me. I'm an exhibitionist. All I can say is, really? Just 25 random things? My whole life is random. For further evidence, read on. Sorry if it's painfully long, but all you people tagging the heck out of me on Facebook asked for it.

25 Random Things About Your Lovable Neighborhood Rachel:

1) I’ve always had a thing for television news anchors or reporters in any variety. They’re the best kind of celebrities because they’re supposed to be impartial and they give you the scoop. News people tell you the facts without celebrity endorsement (most of the time). One of my earliest crushes was Peter Jennings, and I was really sad when he died. For the last 10 years, Matt Lauer has been the constant love of my life. And I’ve always loved the way news changes lives. If you are going to write something, it’s romantic and invigorating to know that your words will be held up as important, even if that importance just lasts until the next edition.
2) I’m a general ‘fraidy-cat.’ I don’t know how to swim, despite YEARS of lessons. I won’t ride horses after getting thrown in Brownies. I’m not a big fan of heights, and notice my knees shake as I walk up stairs or steps on ladders. The things that scare me the most, though, are confrontation and making people feel uncomfortable when I’ve tried to set them at ease.
3) Most of the furniture in my house is used, and in a big way. My aunt is an awesome antique dealer and avid garage-saler. She goes out nearly every weekend and scours yard sales for deals, and I’m a grateful recipient of many of her choice finds and refurbishments. The guest room is a particular highlight on my house tour. The cabinets came from my grandfather’s office (he was a doctor) and the bench at the foot of the bed was his old examination table. I bought the bed frame at a yard sale for $10, painted it black, and the rest is history.
4) I’m motivated in a big way by people telling me I can’t do something. I got an A in my capstone PR class, even though I was a year younger in the program than all the other students. I wasn’t originally hired for my internship at BYU, but got a second stab at the job when their first choice bailed. I became a legend for the quality and quantity of news releases I turned out. I first took Polish because my grandfather told me it was too hard, and I got a spot for the world’s crappiest movie on the Today Show just because it seemed unfathomable.
5) My favorite color fluctuates based on my mood and the season, so I generally just tell people it’s brown. I love brown. It goes with everything.
6) If I eat Oreos, I like to have them with water. Not to dunk, of course! I just like to drink water and swish it around after each cookie to mitigate the effects of cookie bits stuck in between my teeth. Same goes for peanut butter and crackers. But I try not to have Oreos at all, because drinking water also makes them go a little faster, and it’s a calorie mine field.
7) I used to be a compulsive tooth brusher. My dentist and my hygienist both got mad at me for brushing my teeth so much. A typical day would go: Wake up, brush teeth. Shower, brush teeth. Breakfast, brush teeth. Lunch, brush teeth. Get home from school, brush teeth. Brush teeth before going to dinner (at a cafeteria). Go home, brush teeth. Brush teeth before bed. Pray. Sleep. Anyway, now I just brush them three or four times a day. And in case you were wondering, my favorite toothpaste is Aquafresh Extreme Clean in “Empowermint.”
8) When I was much younger, some girls I knew from church called me “The Black Widow” because they thought I made boys fall in love with me and then I’d stomp out their hearts. I still think this is funny because I’ve never had such skills! I think there are still a lot of people who would guess that’s my intention, but I just run into problems trying to be nice to everybody. Boys with over-inflated egos always assume I’m in love with them. Boys with more humble self-concepts figure I’m that way with everyone. If I’m interested, I’m not really good at differentiating my behavior, so good luck.
9) I hate when people buy unnecessary vowels on “Wheel of Fortune.” There are very few things I find so exasperating.
10) Childbirth doesn’t scare me. Raising children scares me. But I still hope to have some, because my kids will have really righteous names (like Jemima, Elaine Fairchild and Jude).
11) I love vegetables. As a child, I wouldn’t go near them, but now we’re best friends. I just started thinking of the way the Polish cafeteria ladies would bring out wax beans and cauliflower and I’d squeal with delight.
12) Speaking of food, I usually don’t cook unless I’m having company. Tonight I’m making dinner for my contractors, so we’re having brisket, rolls, an Italian salad, Jell-O (made with orange juice and sliced strawberries, in the grand Mormon tradition of fixing it up), squash and zucchini, risotto, and chocolate cake. If it were just me, I’d be happy to open a can of green beans and nuke them with some “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter” spray.
13) I have a soft spot for Teen Lit. Usually the plots are predictable, but I never have to feel guilty about all the heaving bosoms and floods of passion one reads of in grocery-store Harlequin romances.
14) I pretty much provide my own life’s soundtrack. I find myself singing about everything, whether it’s a legitimate song, or something I’ve just made up. Sometimes this is charming. Sometimes it’s just plain inappropriate. I was once in a front page meeting for the newspaper, and the poor World/National editor couldn’t get through her stories because I had a song for each of them (“Chicago,” “The Holy City” and “If You’re Going to San Francisco” as I recall).
15) I embrace nerdiness. I’m happy to own up to the fact that I carried a briefcase in 5th and 6th grade. And I like to wear neckties. And I’m jealous of people who get to wear glasses—especially if they’ve got that Buddy Holly look to them (I hate that it’s trendy, but dang! Hot!).
16) One of the best dates I ever went on was to the Rio Grande Zoo. My date had been a junior-zoo keeper in San Diego and knew a lot about animals. He kept doing different mating calls. It would be weird, but he did convince a lot of people that the animals were making the noises, so I thought it was funny.
17) I was once mistaken for a prostitute.
18) When I was in first grade, the school bus nearly ran over me. I remember the experience well. I was wearing a white outfit that had fruit all over it. Very Carmen Miranda.
19) I love when you’re camping and it’s super cold outside but you’re warm and snugly in your tent under a huge pile of blankets.
20) I used to want to write the “Great American Novel” but it may turn out to be a “Great Polish Novel.” I got a pretty good idea for a subject and story line whilst soaking in the bathtub the other day, but research has already provided me with some interesting hurdles.
21) I get all my best inspiration in the bathtub. Showers are efficient, but I like luxury and bubble bath.
22) I hate when people leave lights on, don’t recycle even when it’s convenient, and those who litter. I have no patience for such as these.
23) I swore to myself I wouldn’t make one of these lists, even though I’ve enjoyed reading all my friends’ postings. I’m sure that I’m just doing it to procrastinate getting back to fixing my computer and reloading programs and data after the big hard-drive crash of ’09.
24) Kissing is my favorite form of recreation and exercise.
25) I believe in erring on the side of compassion.

3 Comments:

At February 12, 2009 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Sokphal said...

I didn’t know you loved brown?! I’m glad I got those brown Haviana’s for you then! And I agree with #2! Smooching is fun!

 
At February 19, 2009 at 10:02 PM , Blogger Melanie said...

this was great. we really, really, really need to hang out soon.

 
At March 5, 2009 at 6:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when the bus almost ran you over. I still can see your mom's face and hear the shrill scream. Wow... that was a flashback.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home