Friday, June 26, 2009

A few quick Pop Culture Notes to Head into the Weekend

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shout-out to my musical bestie, Michael Jackson. And ok, he's not my Michael Stipe, and I'm really more into Erasure, Depeche Mode and the Smiths, but he definitely was leaps and bounds in front of Ricky Martin for me. And that's saying a lot, because there's a lot of Ricky in my CD collection (mostly in espanol, actually). Anyway, I'm pretty sad about the loss of our little MJ. I've always really liked him. It might be because it was tradition in gifted class to watch "Thriller" every year around Halloween, I don't know. I do remember being the only person in my office proclaiming his innocence during the last round of trials. Also, I used to get in mega trouble for always publishing AP MJ news instead of local stuff on the Daily Universe's Arts and Culture pages. But hey! I was the gatekeeper, and I just found Michael Jackson way more interesting than yet another Vocal Point performance. As I drove home last night, I turned on the radio and heard "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5. I cried.
But this is not all, my friends. There are other things in my life, and for brevity's sake, I'll just list them here:
1. I discovered I hate Richard Burton. How could have Elizabeth Taylor married him? Twice!?
2. I feel bad for Ryan O'Neil, but he really should have married Farrah years ago. He's ooky, though. So's Tatum. Love her work, but I think the woman is nuts. Like worse than Kirstie Alley or Tom Cruise.
3. Sev loaned me his copy of "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus." I'm learning a lot-- particularly, that everything I do is wrong. No wonder men run screaming from my presence. Seriously. This book could be called, "How Rachel Sego treats Men like Women Without Meaning To, And How if she doesn't Take My Advice, She'll Burn in Hell... or At Least Be Lonely Forever." I'll try to finish it soon so I can give a full report. I actually think I like it much better than "Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man."
OK. That is all. I'm off to a creative, arty weekend. There'll also be some good extended family time, which means someone's gonna get offended (more than one person if a certain aunt gets her way) and some pretty major bragging (thank you, Uncle). Another uncle is sure to prophesy and if my cousin E tells me again I look like Mama Cass Elliott, I'm outta there and back to singing harmony in gypsy clothing in the privacy of my own home. For now, though, I'm off to straighten the house before an evening with Russ and Natalie.

1 Comments:

At June 26, 2009 at 5:15 PM , Blogger ElisaBell said...

Hey Rachel, this is your old bud from whatever ward that was (Cottonwood Heights something-th)! Anyway, I've been a lurker on your blog for a while and finally have a comment! If you're loving Mars and Venus, I suggest reading "Mars and Venus on a Date". John Gray outlines stages of a relationship and how each gender responds. I've loaned it out to many girls (who do things wrong, just like I did) and it has been quite helpful to everyone.

Anyway, I seriously think you're the best and wish we could have hung out more when we lived in the same area!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home