Sunday, January 24, 2010

Custody Battle

So this weekend I had a bit of a shock-- ran into a former boyfriend for the first time since our breakup well over a year ago. We've had no contact, and I was sad, but wanted the best for him. I still am, and do. But I certainly didn't expect to see him-- IN MY FAVORITE STORE, no less.
On Friday night, Mom and I had gone out shopping the antique malls, with a bit of success here and there. I was pretty excited about my finds, and ready to turn them into some kind of mixed-media triumph. Saturday was a low-key day, cleaning out the fireplace, changing light bulbs (quite a production, I assure you), doing laundry, etc. My only concrete plans were meeting my cousin for tea (herbal) in Albuquerque. I had a bit of extra time on my way to town, and was still dreaming up artistic creations, so I went into Papers!, a Nob Hill treasure. I love that store. I love walking through Nob Hill and seeing all the funny people in their fancy clothes-- outfits that are supposed to look thrown-together, but are always precise. I love the artistic energy in that part of Albuquerque. So I went into the store, was greeted by Valentines and glasine bags and my imagination started firing. Until I turned to go into a different room in the store, and saw former boyfriend and some cute little girl at a counter, checking out the over-priced writing utensils.
I was so shocked, I scooted into the other room and had to gather my thoughts. I'm pretty sure he saw me, but he hadn't spoken. And then I realized that I hadn't either, so I certainly couldn't be put off. I looked through note pads and stamps, with all that former inspiration lost in the tizzy of emotion. Still, I may be emotionally sensitive, but I'm not week. I mentally girded my loins-- or, um, something, and marched back into the first room. I looked right at this bloke and said hi. He said, "Hi Rachel Sego," which wasn't as formal as you might imagine, as he always called me by my full name, even when we made out. Don't picture it, but kiss, kiss, "Rachel Sego, you are a great kisser" kiss, kiss, kiss. Anyway, I couldn't think of anything to say but, "How nice to see you in my favorite store." Because did I mention that it was ME who introduced him to the majesty of Papers! in the first place? And he said something like, "Yes, you taught me a lot of great things" or something to that effect. I guess I could have been gracious and return the compliment, but I was too flabbergasted. I just sort of wandered over to the counter where he'd completed his purchase, and stood next to his mute female friend. If she was his girlfriend (and let's hope she was, because she was lovely), it's possible he's told her about his crazy-ex, or other such nonsense, and probably how he doesn't like to talk about it (if patterns hold true). He didn't introduce me. I smiled at her, but I might have looked a little wild-eyed. I asked him what he was there for-- he'd just purchased a pen, and would I like to see it? It was a nice pen, but I don't think I would have paid $68 dollars for it-- I kept thinking about how much $68 would buy at Anthropologie's sale rack (which, incidentally isn't much, but I tend to lose pens, so this seemed like an extravagant purchase, until later I thought-- wow, he would have been easy to shop for were we still together). He asked what I was doing there, and I muttered something about looking for paper to use for the previously-mentioned project, which I described as Bohemian-circus, along the lines of ZoZo The Magic Queen. He nodded, but I'm sure he had no idea what I was talking about. He left. I tried to shop. I felt sick. I made a few hasty purchases, and then called Pam to cry to her on my way to the Tea Room, because it is NOT proper to cry into your tea, even when it's herbal. By the time I met up with my cousin Rachael, my nerves were somewhat settled (also thanks to a chat with my best boy Jacob), and the rest of the evening went well. Except I've had a blasted Of Montreal song on repeat in my head. Which I think is my brain or Heavenly Father's idea of reminding me not to be selfish with a store, when I listen to music former boyfriend exposed me to all the time. Of course, I don't run into him (in person) when jamming out on the iPod. But as he lives three hours away, what are the chances of this happening again? I hope it won't be as uncomfortable. On the off chance he plans to be up here more often, we may have to split the weekends and holidays at Papers!, and he can have it for two solid weeks in the summer, but I maintain that custody should still be mine.

2 Comments:

At January 25, 2010 at 2:31 AM , Blogger Org33 ( Desmond Lim ) said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At January 25, 2010 at 8:16 PM , Blogger Sokphal said...

Aw Rachel...I think you handled it fairly well. A blast from the past can be a shocker. I think you should have ended the sentence with "how is the rash cream treating you?" Haha! Okay, so it's a good thing I wasn't with you! :) You rock though and I can't wait to see you in May!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home