Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Resolved-- 2 days in

So I know a lot of you out there are New Year's Resolution skeptics. And I agree with you, if you want to change your life, there's no need to wait another 359 days to do it. I, for example, always feel a sense of renewal in autumn-- I guess that got ingrained during my years in school. But I do love the resolutions, and I love the clean slate. I love the motivation to do better, and frankly, resolutions get me through those winter blues.
Well, I'm only on the third day of the Sego Family Diet, but it's going well. I've not maxed out my exercise time as much as I'd like, which I'll need to remedy to be in good competition for the money, but I'm building up. So long as I stay faithful today (and I plan to, of course), I'll be three days away from any diet soda, or any non-water beverage for that matter. It feels good, but I've gotta tell ya I had a little snooze yesterday and nothing sounded better than the Diet Coke with Lime, but I withstood. Little victories. Tonight's dinner should be really exciting-- cauliflower left over from Monday, potato left over from last night, and tonight's green beans! I'm not being sarcastic-- I love vegetables. They are luxurious.
Of course, working on my body isn't the only thing I'm interested in improving these days. I've been on a whirlwind cleaning kick, and I love it. At the office, it's been time to transfer files around and clean off the desk. I'm still not done! But I've crossed some major projects off the list and it feels good. At home, I'm still behind. Things look OK, but I still have all my holiday decorations up-- I should have taken them down right away, but I thought I'd have company around New Year's Day and I wanted people to see my house sparkle. Yes, it sparkles-- because as usual, there is glitter on everything. But I ran across a tip the other day-- don't remember if it was in a magazine, online, on a blog, in the newspaper, etc., but the columnist suggested picking up or throwing away 27 things every time you get a chance. I LOVE IT! 27 is a nice number-- not so high it's overwhelming, but definitely big enough to make a dent. The "27 things" advice helped me get rid of some stuff in my parents' food storage room and made folding my whites much more entertaining. I'm trying to do some incarnation of it every day.
Another thing that sounds terrible but I've been able to do well on recently is resolving to save more money. As I'm already pretty good at saving for retirement, rainy day, etc., this resolution is really more about NOT SHOPPING. Boo. You'd think this wouldn't be such a big deal, but I really am trying to curb my spending. Those mortgage payments come around mighty fast my friends. I don't really know where I can make any extra money on the side right now, so I've got to just save more. That means not even going into Sephora or swinging by the sale rack at Anthropologie. That means staying home with my Netflix and just waiting for movies to go to the dollar theatre (which is actually another place I'm avoiding, because I love movie popcorn, but I've got to cut that out). Anyway, even though there is a scarf at Target I'd really like to have, I'm staying as far away as possible. Also, I'm trying to avoid Michael's and Hobby Lobby. I've got a Michael's gift card, but I think I should try to get through all the stuff I have in the craft closet as is. I mean, really, what other 28-year-old do you know who even has a craft closet? My word, I'm a spinster!
Anyway, the long and the short of it is things are going well so far. I expect them to continue. Good luck with your self-improvement projects as well!

1 Comments:

At January 6, 2010 at 8:09 PM , Blogger Stuck but Wondering said...

I have a whole craft room.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home