Friday, January 22, 2010

Decidedly Old School

When I was younger, I'd get exasperated with my parents, who wrote out their invoices by hand. They also used a type-writer to certify insulation installation. I tsk'd at their lack of technological savvy, as well as their inefficiency. I came along and helped streamline some things, and my pride bolstered as I saw things getting done quick as lightening. But I guess the love of the old-timey stuff has gotten to me, because not only do I love furnishing my house with antiques, but also I'm having a hard time giving up the type-writer. I use it for proposals (bids) because we still have the yellow-carbon sheets, and I just think it's charming. Now my little brother has taken over the position of Mr. High-and-Mighty, and berates me for not creating an electronic document. I just re-designed our logo, so it would probably only take 5 minutes to create, and even less time to fill in the form. It would certainly LOOK more professional. I guess I'll finally give in and do that today, but I'm loathe to leave the trusty type-writer behind. It made me the typist I am today. It belongs in the Sego Museum, and if someone ever tries to throw it out, I'm going to chain it to my body, because I'm going with it.
Fortunately, not everything in my life is so behind-the-times, nor is it remotely dramatic. Life is good. I went to a great activity last night, had a good laugh with some friends. I came home and watched "A Mighty Wind" because I love Christopher Guest. Yesterday I painted some gourds to look like nesting dolls-- they are ugly, but in a folk-arty way, so it's OK. My friend Clint and I have a new secret handshake. Sokphal is coming to visit in May, and I can't wait. I'm going out with my cousin Rachael tomorrow, and we always have a such good time visiting with one another. I have an awesome family, the world's sweetest friends, and everything I need, including a typewriter (that I arguably don't need). I'm blessed.

1 Comments:

At January 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM , Blogger Lou said...

John and Mads are doing their invitations with a type writer! I love the idea!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home