Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Unsolved Mysteries-- Pillowcases and Peanut Butter

So if you didn't hear, Ashley and Robert got robbed this morning. BOOO! Can I just say that I'm WAY more angry about this than both times it happened to me. Here they are, two sweet kids, working long hours to make ends meet, and some jerk with an addiction (or possibly just no conscience) walks off with my sister's laptop, which she needs for her online classes. Their TV? Gone, along with Robert's video games. They even took Ashley's pillowcase right off of her pillow to put stuff in. Super, super low. I know these things are all "luxury" items, and they are just things, but I hate that their door got kicked in (been there, twice). I hate that R&A are really nice kids, trying to pay their mortgage, and they haven't really bought any of those luxury items in ages, because they're being responsible and saving every penny. I also really hate that the unidentified lady who called the police waited until the burglar was GONE before reporting the crime, even though she watched the whole thing.
My new pal Gerri (a guy, though the spelling is misleading-- just kidding Gerri!), has told me twice now about how he called the police on some punk breaking into his neighbor's place. G had the good sense to call 911 while the thieves were there, and persevered, even when the operator yelled at him because his cell phone was static-y or something. The criminal was apprehended, and everyone got a laugh about the guy's nerve-- making himself some peanut-butter sandwiches during the brouhaha.
I don't mean to be a whiner here, but I really resent these people-- it's just stuff to them, easy money. But for the people they victimize, there's a loss of peace of mind. There's the pending insurance fiasco, and no offense to all my friends and loved-ones who work in the industry, but there's something pretty wrong with paying companies thousands of dollars, only to be told that if anything happens to you, first they'll raise your rates and then they'll drop you. It's these people and their petty crimes that are going to cause me to get ugly iron security doors (I loathe them!) and a dog (which, as you all know, I'm not thrilled about either). And mostly, it makes me sad for the state of the world we live in. Again, all this "stuff" is replaceable, but it's mostly heartbreaking to see society's erosion into a place where truth and morals are relative, and everyone is looking out for No. 1. The good news is, Ashley and Robert are wonderful, caring, generous and decent people, and what goes around comes around. I'm so sorry they're going through this, but I know in the end they'll be blessed. And heaven help the poor people who've gotten themselves so deep into whatever it is they're into that would drive them to this. They are the real tragedies in the story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home