Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pure Pleasure

The other night in bed just before I fell asleep, I counted my blessings, and sometimes you just have to express gratitude for things that make you blissfully happy. Here's one of mine:

"The Invention of Hugo Cabret" by Brian Selznick. Have you read it? What are you waiting for?

Not only is the story enchanting, but the artwork is fantastic. I love pencil on watercolor paper. The texture makes the work that more emotive. Also, major props to Martin Scorsese for being so true in the film adaptation, which I loved months ago.

But if I'm being really honest, the experience was heightened by the pure joy from the way the book smelled. Bibliophiles know what I'm talking about. And if you happened to attend BYU, you'd recognize the smell of "Hugo." It smelled like every official booklet you ever received-- from Orientation to Grad Guide, there's this particular smell of ink on that thick paper, and you can experience it all again by picking up a copy of this book.

Many thanks to McMichael MacHansen for his recommendation.


Not gonna lie--I take a lot of pleasure in the viewing of this picture. I knew Michael and I would be friends from the beginning, mostly because we both have great hair. But you know how I adore people who celebrate their heritage.

PS. I ironed that kilt the night before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home