Monday, October 16, 2006

From Barcelona

OK, the latest and greatest from your traveling Rachel. Made it to Barcelona about 9 this morning, and already have done tons-- saw the beautiful cathedral (Sagrada Familia is tomorrow), parambulated down the Rambla, and went to a chocolate museum. Wild, huh? Our only little mishap has been the girl we were supposed to stay with-- she couldn´t get a bus out of Madrid last night, so Phal and I are at a hostel. We´re sharing a room with 8 other people, but we haven´t met them yet. Sokphal is sleeping right now, so I thought I´d take the opportunity to respond to all my adoring fans... or something like it. Mostly I thought I´d get out of the bedroom because the detergent they use on the sheets is pretty strong. Picture yourself in an Ivory Soap factory and you might get an idea. But at least the place is clean, right? It really isn´t bad at all.
Anyway, Spain is quite nice. It´s really growing on me quite a bit. I´ve got some funny pictures to post in the next few days, so watch for them.
I did want to say one thing about this morning-- it´s kind of sad. I went into the Barcelona Cathedral and it was GORGEOUS. Now, I´ve gone to enough cathedrals in my day that sometimes they all start to look the same. But this one really was lovely. The disappointing thing? They had this one chapel that was set aside especially for people praying, instead of just tourists. And you know what? No one was in there. It was a little disheartening, but it gave me a good opportunity. Anyway, I just think it´s a little sad that people go to these places only to take pictures or check them off their lists, but forget what the buildings are all about. I mean, you can pray anywhere, but still.
OK, my time is probably up here, but hope everyone at home is happy and healthy. I´m having the time of my life, but I´m looking forward to getting back later this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home