Thursday, June 5, 2008

Words of Wisdom

Here's a helpful hint for my fiber-loving friends: Dried blueberries from Costco are MUCH better than dried blueberries from Sam's Club. You wouldn't think there would be a huge difference, but there totally is. Dried cherries from Sam's Club are really good, though.
The other day I was thinking about language, and how I would explain to someone learning English the way we use "so." Obviously, it adds emphasis (he was so smokin' hot!) and signals a pause in conversation, "So...", but isn't it charming the way language evolves? I guess it's still a modifier and an emphasizer when you say, "I so could make that!", but the novel placement of the word (and ok, it's not that novel... it sounds like something you'd hear in a 1980s teen movie), could definitely get tricky for those who don't speak English as their native tongue.
Then I started thinking about how marvelous it is when people are actually FLUENT in another language. I'm nowhere near that. I mean, I'm hardly fluent in English, right? I mean, as evidenced by my occasional red flags of illiteracy... Anyway. Props to those who speak more than one language, and extra props to those who have chosen beautiful Polish. Esperanto is ok too.
Also, I had a nerdy moment the other day, and I think sharing it is a good idea. Not nerdy in the same way I was nerdy when I carried a briefcase to 5th and 6th grade, but WAY more embarrassing. I watched "The Goonies" to get a little outfit inspiration for an upcoming 80s dance, and really got quite teary-eyed during Cyndi Lauper's "Goonies R Good Enough." Both times. There's something about that scene when all the kids bike down the hill from Mikey's house and the electronica is pumping. Then, I always have to watch the closing credits so I can hear the song. My heart swells a little bit. And ok, I'm stupid now. But the fact remains I love that movie! (Many thanks to John Mayer's recent blog citing the Goonies and saying that most people he knows basically grew up to be Troy.)
Hmm... this is nonsensical. Maybe I just like talking and typing more than anyone should.
And to whom or for what shall I proclaim my love today? That seems to be a good idea. Let me see... How about an ode to the 4' woman I saw at Henrietta's this afternoon. She didn't have teeth. She was also wearing this rockin' denim jacket with a huge patch on the back. It had a picture of four Native Americans (I'm assuming they were Sioux) standing in front of Mt. Rushmore with a caption, "The Original Founding Fathers." She just seemed sweet to me. I guess she wins the shout-out.
Oh wait, let me add one more. I need to sing the praises of my good friend Anna as well. Last night Ms. Anna and I went shopping for our friend Chris' bridal shower, which is being held Saturday a la casa de yours truly. Anna is a maniac when it comes to showers, and she led me on a hunt for crazy lingerie. Now, keep in mind I'm a pretty conservative gal, and blush at the drop of a hat. The experience was certainly... educational. This morning I woke up and walked into my kitchen and saw the Frederick's of Hollywood bag and thought, "Hmm... I'm not sure this was a good idea." I mean, the gift itself? Probably a great idea. But I'm still not sure that I can give Chris the stuff until her mom (and Morris' mom and sisters) aren't looking. And I'm not looking either. Worst part? Anna's presents put mine to shame (or actually, possibly, the other way around, if you follow). But I have to give A a lot credit for being gutsy and fun. If she read Cosmo, she'd be one of their fun, fearless females.
Hahaha. You know you're at a special time in your life when you blog about fiber and lingerie at the same time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home