Wednesday, May 14, 2008

They Say It's Your Birthday...

First, a quick memo to Sean Reed... I tried to find your blog, but couldn't access it. If you happen to check this again, or someone who talks to Sean does, let me know how to find his!
OK, now on to the subject at hand-- I have to give some major props to my friends for giving me one of the best birthdays I can remember (and considering that I could tell you what just about every birthday party entailed since I was in 4th grade, that's saying quite a bit). I was a little depressed about the whole thing, but they made it wonderful. My friend Katie Kincaid says that turning 27 is much harder than turning 30, mostly because you start anticipating the big 3-0. Once you actually turn 30, she says, it's not even a big deal.
Anyway, for whatever reason, I was a little depressed about the whole thing. Mostly, I knew all my friends would be WAY too busy to do anything. I mean, a Tuesday night is hard enough, but during finals week?!?!?! Forget it.
So the day on its own actually started off great on its own. I mean, I couldn't just sit around and wait for things to happen. So I got up at 4:45 to hit the gym early. On the way, I opened a really sweet card from my friend Amy, which was a nice way to start the day. Also, when it's your birthday at Main Street Muscle and Fitness, you get a little birthday song (played as loudly as possible over the speakers) instead of the typical welcome message. It's a little embarrassing, but I still liked it. Good thing the gym isn't that busy at 5 a.m.
Anyway, then I went to work and opened a package of flip-flops from my BFF. She got them in Brasil, and promises me a Brasilian boyfriend to go with them for Christmas. I'm gonna hold her to it.
The morning was filled with super emails and phone calls. I met my mom, dad, and sister in town to eat at Sweet Tomatoes for lunch. Is there a better place in this world? I'm not convinced. In the afternoon I gave blood (giving a little life to celebrate being given life, you see) and got a pedicure. Then my amazing friend Paul took me to dinner, and finally there was A SURPRISE PARTY at my sister's house. I honestly am the most spoiled girl on the planet. Who gets surprise parties two years in a row? I'm ruined for all future birthdays. I understand Mel and Terry were absolutely instrumental in the process, doing TONS of work. Apparently my whole darling family was also in on the action. It was AMAZING. Everyone was so generous, not only with gifts but most importantly with their time. I'm blown away. I know this blog probably sounds braggy and maybe you're wondering if I think anyone out there would actually to care to read about it, but I can't really find the words to describe how remarkable my friends are. There's something so sweet about your girls giving you a baseball bat because someone tried to break into your house. There's a certain satisfaction that comes from having the Elder's Quorum President/Future Superbowl Ring Wearing Celeb singing karaoke and dancing to the Backstreet Boys. You've gotta love your friends looking out for you with a somewhat restricted guest list and one friend bringing me a new boyfriend (just kidding!). I still can't wipe the grin from my face.
Anyway, 26 was great. I grew a lot and accomplished quite a bit. I feel satisfied with the way it turned out. And if the last 36 hours are any indication, 27 should be even better (notwithstanding the fact that I didn't manage to blow out my 8 birthday candles in just one breath because I nearly lit my hair and my party hat on fire). How in the world can one person be so blessed? I'll tell you what-- I've got a lot of love to live up to.

3 Comments:

At May 14, 2008 at 5:22 PM , Blogger Lou said...

oh my heck i forgot, luna wanted me to give you a birthday pat on the butt. you'll have to hit him up for it next time you see him! hahaha! glad your birthday was amazing! we had tons of fun!

 
At May 15, 2008 at 5:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

i am glad you enjoyed your birthday too!!!! I had a blast!!! it was definitely the way to spend the tuesday night of finals week!

 
At May 16, 2008 at 10:24 PM , Blogger The Reeds said...

It's Sean again. Sorry you couldn't access our blog. Here's our address: http://seanandshanny.blogspot.com/. See f that works for you. So glad to hear you had such a great b-day!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home