Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Defunct WB... the Voice of My Generation

Obviously, it's old news that the WB is no longer with us... replaced by the CW, and no longer representing my target demographic. WB shows rarely took the turn I wanted them to (I still think Joey should have chosen Dawson and Felicity would have gotten a better deal with Noel), but I just loved them. Now I don't watch TV because I don't have cable and can't get any reception out where I live. And the truth is, I'm usually not home.


Still, my generous cousin gave me a Netflix subscription for my birthday and among the first things in my queue were all the episodes from "Felicity"-- Season 1. And here's what I have to say about that-- That Felicity Porter was completely unhinged! And I don't say that because she followed Ben across the country, changing the trajectory of her life for a boy who she'd spoken to once. That, in a remarkable way, is understandable. But in the first four episodes, which I watched Wednesday night as a means of researching solutions for my current social predicaments (or, in other words, to avoid cleaning out my closet, emptying lawn clippings from the mower, going running, etc., etc., etc.), I realized that little Felicity was REALLY out of touch with reality. And you might say right now, "Um, yes. She's a fictional character." But that's beside the point. How could she not see Ben's love for Julie? How could she not realize Noel loved her? Why was she so heavy-handed with the emotional belabouring? And the really scary question: Was I like that as a college freshman? Sadly and truthfully? Probably. Hope I'm not still in that boat.

1 Comments:

At July 3, 2008 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Sokphal said...

Not sure about Felicity, but Scott Speedman ("Ben") was pretty good in "The Strangers". Super scary! Almost made me pee in my pants! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home