Monday, December 1, 2008

Globes, Glitter and Massive Mistletoe

My eyes are wide this morning with wonder and delight and a bit of surprise.
I'm laughing to myself that I thought today would be rather light in the work department, but not that surprised that the to-do list suddenly grew a mile long. I'm OK with it. Being busy is being safe.
Last night, two of my besties came over and helped me ditz up the house for the holidays-- I say ditz not to imply dumbing-down, but because it's like Tinkerbell came and put a thick layer of glitter on everything I own. Seriously, my house sparkles like a diamond. Or a 1950s, kitschy store front. It's magical. For those who can, come see it. I should vacuum the stray tinsel though. Even the carpet is glittery at the moment, but that's kind of a mistake.
I've been chuckling this morning as well, because again, I'm getting a taste of my own unimportance in the social scheme of things. I glanced through a friend's facebook album this morning, and saw evidence of countless parties and gatherings I wasn't at. What's more, I wasn't invited. And it's ok. It's just a little funny when you get this idea that you're universally liked, because you love universally, and then realize that lots of people couldn't care less. This is not passive aggressive, nor is it whining. It's just kind of a healthy acknowledgement that any pedestal others put me on crumbled ages ago, but I was too proud to notice. Still, I have what I need. I'm a survivor, and I thank heaven every day for the good friends I DO have.
Still, wouldn't it be nice to find a date for my sister's wedding so I could keep the old crones at bay? Nothing will rob me of happiness for my sister on this most important day, but it does get under my skin when the old bitties decide to lecture me on my singlehood and lack of offspring. Bah. I swallowed my pride and asked a friend to come along, but the look of absolute terror in his eyes had me retreating and revoking the invitation before he could give me a definite no. It was hard to ask, and harder to see his revulsion, but hardest that a time not long ago, I thought I'd have a guaranteed date to the shindig. Oh well. This is desperate, but anyone willing to set me up on the 19th-- please. Please do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home