Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ed McBand's "No Radio"

Am I the only person in the Albuquerque Metro Area who HATES Nickelback? Nickleback? I don't even know how they spell their blasted name, but ugh! Sorry to all you NB fans out there, but I find nothing appealing about their songs, which are played every single rotation. You can't get away from them. They're coming to concert in SEPTEMBER, but you'd think it were tonight. Meanwhile, there has not been one radio mention of the illustrious Morrissey playing the Sunshine tomorrow. But for people who like really generic rock, you can count on hearing again and again how NB tickets go on sale Saturday. Oh, how will I ever endure the hype for the next several months? This is why I'm grateful I splurged for the iPod adapter for the 300 C.
Part of the problem is the lack of decent radio stations in Albuquerque. I just don't find myself in a targeted demographic, I suppose, because while I can deal with country, I never think to listen to it, and rap/hip-hop is generally too hard-core for me. That leaves me with musica de espanol (another good choice, but even I get tired of mariachi music), soft-rock elevator music, oldies, and generic pop/adult contemporary as heard on 100.3 The Peak.
The Peak is my best go-to station, but they play so much NB that I want to pull out my hair. I've never figured out how to program the stations in my new car, so when I hear that infernal "Rock Star" song (which is almost as obnoxious as that awful Kid Rock song that was so calculated and inexplicably popular last summer), I have no choice but to scroll quickly to Magic 99.5 where I'll inevitably be treated to Michael Bolton. And don't get me wrong, MB is still an improvement over NB, but why can't I get my Depeche Mode fix? Or, for those who want something a little more current, give me my Regina Spektor!
The worst thing? For a while I kept getting calls from Arbitron to do radio and music surveys. Clearly, my opinions didn't stack up against the masses. And you didn't really get a chance to explain yourself. I love Pink! I love working out to several of her songs, but I think "You and Your Hand" ought to be banned-- I don't want to have to explain the meaning of that filth to a child in my car. But instead, I only got to say that I "Strongly Disliked" it. It still gets played, so the Peak fails me as well.
I wish we had some kind of college, underground station. Heck, maybe there is one and I've just never found it. I miss my days in Utah, where I'd happily tune into Chunga and Mister on 101.9 The End (formerly 107.5, until they moved to a stronger signal) and listen to Oingo Boingo along with Ingrid Michaelson. There was another short-lived station that was popular for a while-- I kind of remember it being at the top of the dial, but because it was only around for about a year, the name escapes me. But were it not for this obscure station, I wouldn't be the Smiths fan I am today.
And don't get me wrong-- I'm not a music snob. To each their own. Listen to your bluegrass, listen to your jazz. I like to think that I'm open-minded enough to find SOMETHING to like about it. But not NB. My iPod will continue to be my best friend until their popularity wanes and there's a new terrible Miley Cyrus song getting all the attention.

1 Comments:

At April 14, 2009 at 1:39 PM , Blogger Lou said...

I love me some blue grass and I love me some jazz, but I hate me some NB! I have a song one of these days you need to listen to, I am hoping you love it. Oh and the bonus is it has a video that is so clever!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home