Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Accidentally, Do You Say My Name?

I had a little odd wave of jealousy yesterday. Odd because usually I'm not a jealous person. When my friends and family have something go right, I'm happy to rejoice with them. Odder was the fact I was jealous of these people I don't really know.
Like most of the rest of my generation, I'm a social networker, for better or worse. I don't try to meet anyone online (though folks these days argue the stigma is diminishing, I still find it creepy), but I love, love, love reconnecting with people I've known in the past. Plus, it's convenient for staying in touch with even people you see daily. Oh, it's not like in college, when kids would IM their roommates or the friends down the hall-- I still am much happier with face-to-face communication. But my Facebook friends, for example, fall into three major categories: 1) My real-life close friends, 2) Friends from the past who I still truly care about, but don't have time/ability to see, so Facebook or Myspace becomes a lifeline, and 3) People I need to keep tabs on, especially for church-- these are people I like and care about, of course, but I wouldn't necessarily spend a lot of time with them outside of our meetings. The Category 3 people are still important to me, but I mostly like the convenience of communicating with them all at once-- like when we need to get the word out about a party or something.
Well, yesterday, a Category 3 "friend" popped up on my newsfeed. I like him all right. I rarely see him, but I always wish him the best. I realized, though, that I haven't seen him around lately, so I turned to a little investigation (sounds so much better than stalking, doesn't it?). As I glanced over his page, I was happy to see that things continue to go well with his girlfriend (probably the main reason our circle of friends never sees this bloke), and that he'd just come back from a really nice trip abroad. And then suddenly, I felt terrible, because I felt like I'd neglected him. This is unfounded, of course. I have no obligation to this fellow, besides treating him with kindness and such. But I realized I knew so little about him. I was calling him a "friend," but we are practically strangers.
I continued to scroll down his profile page. Did I realize before he and his girlfriend of just a couple of months are already proclaiming their love publicly? His status was "T loves his beautiful girlfriend." She commented that she liked that. Of course she does. They are a splendid little match, and knowing them both (in a VERY limited capacity), I can see how God brought them together at just the right time. They have this little pocket of bliss that's theirs, that I shouldn't have been invading. But I wanted to be happy for them. Instead, I was a little jealous. Not because I have a crush on this boy or anything silly like that. More because they are so happy and I'm a latecomer to being happy for them. It was unfounded. It made little sense. And when I woke up this morning, I didn't feel that way at all. But for about 30 minutes yesterday, I felt all wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home