Friday, October 9, 2009

I Need a Boho Break

Last night, I worked on boutique stuff til about 12:30. My house is still messy (though not as messy-- did laundry, but haven't folded it yet, did dishes, but haven't unloaded yet, etc.) and there are still things I'd like to do, but we're getting down to the wire. I probably wouldn't have stopped, but suddenly my feet and hands were both cramped up and it was like my body yelling, "You do have to sleep sometimes, you know!" So I'm a little stiff and sore, and in a few minutes I'll be back at the farm, tacking up black plastic in the garage for the Halloween section, and pricing all my junk (something I'm totally not looking forward to) and trying to figure out a way to have the company (otherwise known as our other, visiting Boho Babes) from coming over to see my house until tomorrow. Tonight I just need to clean the kitchen, sweep, mop, and finish that laundry. And possibly clean out my closet. And perhaps organize the storage room and decorate for Halloween. But I really just want to go to a movie. Or go to bed. Or read my new books. Or go to bed. Wait. Did I say that one before? Actually, in spite of sore feet, I think I'd also like to go dancing. Hmm. Maybe clean and sleep and last-minute creativity tonight. Dance tomorrow after what I hope will be a very successful event.
The farm's looking pretty good. There are a few things I've made that I'm pretty proud of, and other things that are a little weird, but I still love them. One of the best reasons to adopt an eclectic aesthetic in one's home is the liberty it gives you to be fearless. The other night I was at Hobby Lobby picking up some last-minute supplies (copper spray paint, screw eyes, etc.) and I saw a couple in the framing department. They were in absolute agony over which frames to get for their botanical prints. And yes, their artwork was beautiful, and I was happy for them that they could afford custom framing (although, I honestly think it's too expensive unless you've got something really important) but they were waffling over two frames that looked exactly the same! And what's more, they were really plain! I think a decision could have been made via eenie-meanie-miny-moe but the woman gave me a condescending smile and told me they'd be there for a long time trying to decide. Meanwhile, I asked the man in the custom-framing department where the screw eyes were, and he pointed me in the direction of the expensive ones on an endcap in the framing department. I told him I'd purchased them in packages of 30 rather than 5 from H.L. before, but he didn't know anything about it. Of course he didn't. Why should he tell me where to find the $1.47 package of 30 if he thought he could sell me the $2.97 package of 5?!?!?!? Anyway, I went away, got another employee to help me locate the inexpensive stuff, and felt sorry for the poor couple in the framing department who were sure to pay through the nose for something really generic. I'm guessing they're also the people who have to have every single piece of furniture match. Their curtains probably are cut from the same fabric as their duvet, and they probably have a chair upholstered in it as well. And there's nothing wrong with that-- a very special and wonderful member of my family decorates in the same way, and that person's home is gorgeous. But my word! Life is so much easier when you can be a little laissez faire about the whole thing and just get what you like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home