Sunday, October 4, 2009

OH, and Another Thing

I just wanna say I'm pleased that among all the trash out there, so much media is still soul-stirring. Or at least inspiring. The top five songs in rotation on my iPod this week have been (in no particular order) "Us" by Regina Spektor, "Soul Sister" by Train, "Maybe" by Ingrid Michaelson, "Change is Hard" by She and Him and "Never say Never" by the Fray. I am soothed, and so pleased that I don't have to be subjected to the mediocrity that is Nickelback.
And speaking of mediocrity-- saw "Fame" last night. I probably should have saved my $9.75, but after two days of sitting at my parents house doing family history research in between conference sessions, my brain needed a break. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to lend my voice in support of Roger Ebert's assessment on this one. None of the characters are developed enough for the audience to feel much empathy for them. A couple stand out, and it would have been nicer had the ensemble cast been trimmed a bit. It was just too superficial, and didn't capture my imagination like the original show. Well, in truth, I don't remember the original show that much, but I do remember when LaVar Burton visited the cast on Reading Rainbow, and I remember the song pumping me up, and I remember the hot pink and neon green outfits, and how that inspired my wardrobe for quite some time. It probably also did not help that I was one of only three people in the theatre last night, with the two others lurking in the top-left corner, probably hoping to canoodle during the whole show (you can interpret canoodle any way you like-- I didn't look back, and tried very hard to focus on the eye candy, jail bait, arty-boys on the screen). Bottom line: Dollar Theatre, if you see it at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home