Monday, August 22, 2011

Pennies from Hell

I guess sometimes when a person makes a bad investment it's better to just cut your losses and get out of Dodge.
Remember Bad Penny? He's turned into chump change, emphasis on the CHUMP. After a fun weekend away (special shout out to my girl JW), I am exhausted, sore (yes Pamners, my entire legs are now feeling it-- just took a while for the calves to kick in) and happy. Or at least I was. Until I came into work to sort through the 36 emails waiting for me in the inbox. Many were just junk. No biggie. Some were dictionary.com words of the day. Good. Here and there were some updates from the Construction Reporter. But there, in the midst, was a dreaded email from the chump. I knew I shouldn't open it, but I am a glutton for punishment, a curious cat, etc.
Have you ever had an "apology" letter that is really someone passively-aggressively chewing you out? The gist usually is, "I'm sorry, but guess what-- I hate your guts because you are the scum of the earth and the reason I was a complete a-hole is because of all YOUR problems. I basically had no choice. So even though I made you feel like poo the other day, you really ought to know that it's all your fault, and I'm telling you this because I'm such a good person." The letter was pretty standard and true to form. Penny is a narcissist, so what did I expect? I struggled. Write back and rip him a new one? Delete it and pretend like I never knew him? Submit meekly to his myriad criticisms? Before you get all commenty-advicey, I'll tell you that I chose a combination. I initially deleted. Then I wrote back. I'm pretty sure my own missive was a touch P-A, but that is the beauty of righteous indignation, my friends. I asked him to kindly restrict any further communication to comments on the weather. I don't expect to hear from him again. At least, not until he is again on the rebound. Mea culpa for going out in the first place, knowing what I knew and for expecting to enjoy myself anyway. And mea culpa for even reading the email. And mea culpa for bothering to write back, but now I'm done. That penny wasn't even worth chucking into a fountain. I'm leaving it in Las Vegas for some other unfortunate to pick up, tails-up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home