Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Spinning Right Round in the Revolving Door

So you all know I have this problem my friends call the "Revolving Door of Men" in my life, yes? Boo. It's a terrible fate. Certain men make infrequent but regular appearances in my social scene, and perhaps it's because I'm nice or perhaps it's because I'm bored, but I let them in. No more!
Boo.
Terrible date last night. Sorry to disappoint, Val and Company, but there were no sparks flying last night, despite the delicious and intimate dinner at Paul's Monterrey Inn, even though we jokingly told our waiter Mark that it was our 9-year-anniversary. My square-peg of a date is a bad penny that keeps turning up, and while I thought it would be nice to see him again, I went home sad-- mostly because I think, "Ugh, is this my fate? This guy reminds me of a turtle, and I'm just not that into sea-life." In all seriousness, though, let's just chalk it up to poor judgment on my part, going out with this chap, and be happy he lives hundreds of miles away. Ugh and Grr. Oh dear, I'm reduced to typing guttural sounds of fury. This does not bode well.
Let's move on to another topic-- an old friend who revolved right in and out of a recent dream. My college chum
Reuben and his wife were the star's of Monday morning's phantasmagorical show. I've actually never met the lovely Mel, his wife of several years and mother to their darling daughter Kung Pao, but in this vision she and Reub were renewing their wedding vows. All the men wore space suits, except Reuben who opted for a purple silk shirt (silk shirts are nasty, but he still looked charming). Mel was the real star of the show, however. She made her entrance to the front of the cathedral via a system of pulleys, hidden beneath a bunch of purple balloons. You could see her black, one-shouldered mini dress was gorgeous, but the balloons were the center of the display. As she descended slowly, she'd pop the balloons with a push pin, giving the illusion she was descending due to the ever-decreasing balloons. What an entrance! With such dramatic appearances, old friend Reuben and family may drop into my dreams any time.
And speaking of old friends, long-time readers may remember a tribute I
posted here several years ago. Remember Chris of the Hammer Pants fame? Chris who was so nice he consistently invited EVERYONE in our classes to his birthday pool parties on Edeal Rd.? Chris with the funky toes and fancy dance moves? If you are a Los Lunas contemporary and you didn't know Chris Payne, you missed out. Big time. Pretty much the nicest boy in my entire career at Daniel Fernandez Intermediate School.
Chris also has happily re-entered my life. Here is what he looks like now:

Sorry I stole your picture, Chris. A little too chiseled, perhaps, but friends, you must understand that beneath the actor's exterior lies an incredibly brilliant mind. Welcome back to my life, Chris, even though yours is much fancier than mine. I've missed your doodles and that crazy-huge backpack, your spiky hair and ability to be kind even when you were busy doing math more complicated than most of us ever learned in college. Remember the time I totally embarrassed myself because I didn't know who your dad was and he asked me if I'd seen you at the speech contest and I said, "Oh, I don't know, he's always late" and then I realized you were connected and I was completely mortified?!?! Thank you for being my friend through two solid years of embarrassing moments, and now again despite cliches and run-on sentences.

1 Comments:

At August 18, 2011 at 11:35 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Well that's unexpected. Surprisingly, this is exactly how we were going to stage our wedding, except the temple workers were sticks in the mud and wouldn't go for the one-shouldered mini.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home