Friday, July 8, 2011

Tales and Tidbits and Tableaus

First and foremost, I must send out my love to all (ok, well, most) of my old boyfriends out there (legit or pseudo). I'm a lucky, lucky girl.
So the other day, I came back to the office after dinner with my beloved friend, Sister Frances (yes, she's a nun). It was a going-away to-do because she's being sent back to the Provincial House in Toledo. Sister Fran is such a great woman, and everyone is going to miss her terribly (most notably the children she's taken care of for the last seven years), so I was in a little bit of a sad mood. HOWEVER, I checked the mail and found a package. For me. From Andrew.
Now, Andrew was never my boyfriend, but I do love him terribly and always have. He is a shining example of goodness, and got married last October. As it is my general policy to not call my married male friends except for an annual birthday hello or under situations of extreme importance (like when I had to tell my friend Sean about a big decision in my life, see below), I'd not talked to dear Andrzej since last fall. But out of the blue came a priority mail envelope with a strange return address-- this was no package from his condo in Pleasant Grove, Utah. I ripped it open to find a nice little note and a bag and pin. From Poland. Woo-hoo! Apparently, they are from Empik, which was a favorite haunt of mine back in the day. Thoughtful, huh? There was also a CD for our mutual pal Nathan. I suppose a) Andrew didn't have Nathan's address, and b) Andrew knew I'd see Nathan soon (he's coming in August, as a matter of fact). Anyway, it was just a little thing, but isn't it wonderful to still have beautiful little surprises here and there? Oh, I love my friends! Even when they join the armed forces and don't bother to tell you they're stationed in Germany, but break it to you with presents.
The next day, I spoke to the very Charming Eric, otherwise known as Eric No. 2 (not to be confused with the Eric I'm eloping with this fall when I go to visit Sokphal in D.C.). This Eric stole my heart freshman year at the Brigham, and I've had a weakness for the gingers ever since. Eric's dry sense of humor keeps me laughing for hours, and it had been entirely too long since we'd communicated. Call it serendipity, or just call it the two of us on facebook at the same time. It doesn't matter. I love you, Eric Otto. Even though you also weren't my boyfriend but used to call me in the middle of the night until you started dating the dreaded Cathy. I'm so glad we're still friends.
These two charming episodes have kept my mood aloft after a marvelous holiday weekend of nothingness. For once, I wasn't over scheduled. My fam was scattered, and so my celebrations consisted of watching two of the worst movies ever (I recommend staying away from "Life as We Know It," but run to avoid "Remember Me" with Robert Pattinson), having a sleepover with my three-year-old darling niece Zoey, painting a dresser, watching a movie with Pam ("Monte Carlo" is family-friendly fun) and so on. Nothing difficult. Nothing to muddle through-- save the RPatz movie. It was peaceful and relaxing. I got a pedicure. And a manicure. And I had my eyebrows threaded. I ate at Mac's Steak in the Rough. I read a book by my favorite author, Elizabeth Peters. I went to a bbq and ended up holding hands temporarily with a friend of mine, and it was sweet. I got inspired vis-a-vis projects for October's boutique. I plotted a picnicking plan. I went to Michael's and once again bought out the whole store (but not really-- just some great clearance stuff). So, you know, it was typical, but the serenity of the weekend made it delicious. And the short work-week has coasted by, and I'm looking forward to more peace.
Lest you think I've forgotten, I did have an important epiphany this weekend (important enough that I felt a text to Sean was not out of the question). I've decided to name my son Atreyu. Like the hero in "The Neverending Story." Part of this is because I think I need to have an equally odd name in mind for a boy (I still don't understand what everyone has against Jemima), and part of it is because I'd love to introduce him just like in the movie. "His name... is Atreyu!" Oh, I'm such a genius! Or I've got too much thinking time on my hands. Still, epic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home