Friday, September 11, 2015

A little night music

The other night I was hit with a terrible bout of insomnia.  This is a particularly cruel affliction for an early-morning seminary teacher, and I kinda thought it impossible-- a) because I'm physically and mentally so exhausted at the end of the day that I'm pretty much already asleep by the time I crawl into bed and b) because I thought that was one of Heavenly Father's guaranteed blessings to people in my calling. 

So after an hour and a half of tossing, turning, and picturing the Serta Sheep (because aren't they the ones YOU count?  I resorted to reading.  But my book wasn't doing it for me, nor was my magazine.  For some reason, I got to thinking about an old blog post, and started patting myself of the back for being hilarious.  And in the spirit of embracing my wakefulness, I went in search of said post. 

OK-- why did I ever stop writing?  I'm freaking Jimmy Fallon!

No, no, of course I'm not.  But I started to ache to write, so here I am.

The truth is, my life got pretty boring for a while.  It's not been bad-- there have been the typical ups and downs.  And in the spirit of full disclosure, it's still not an action movie around here.  More like a nature documentary-- but the kind they had on PBS when we were kids, not the cool ones on the Discovery Channel.

In the past couple of years, I went through a couple of odd, pseudo-relationships.  I guess there are some stories there, but because both men are now out of my life, they just don't even rate more than this mention.  I don't think they have earned a bigger part of my story. 

And my social life-- well, it's basically non-existent.  There's simply no time.  I get up at 4:30 to start my day.  I teach seminary, I work out.  I go to work, I work out some more, I prepare for the next day's seminary lesson, and I go to bed.  Rinse and repeat.  Not much literary inspiration there.

But I'm ready to change that.  If for no other reason than to have something to write about, I'm just going to have to cut back a little more on the whole sleep thing (six hours a night is sufficient-- why not five and a half occasionally?) and find some adventure.


Also, I plan to use this blog to become impossibly famous, which I figure is the only way to meet men.  Sure, they'll be using me as a status symbol, but frankly, that appears to be my best option at the moment.  I've made my peace with it. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home