Wednesday, July 26, 2006

It's Gonna Be Me

First things first.
LANCE BASS IS GAY.
As you know, I like gay people as much as I like any kind of people. I've known plenty of great ones, and I imagine some aren't worth kicking-- just like everyone else. And I suppose the dudes I know will say, "Uh, DUH Rachel." But he was always my favorite N'Syncer (Justin is gross, JC is passe, and who even remembers Joey or poor little Chris with the lame pony-beaded braids?). I guess this is just one more manifestation of my attraction to men who like other men. I thought I'd given that up. Again, nothing against my gay friends, but that kind of thing isn't going to get me very far, now is it?
Anyway, this prolly shouldn't take up space on the old blog, but I think I was just a little shocked because I've been taken out of the pop culture loop. Funny how avoiding the internet and reading the newspaper instead of Entertainment Weekly and Variety will do that to a person. And what about Ken Jennings? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. :)
So, in my own life that has very little to do with pop culture, things are moving along on the house. It's all a bit scary still for all the obvious reasons, but I am getting excited. I met with the architect today and gave him a list of all the modifications for the floor plan and elevations. Take out the tray ceilings and no bonus room over the garage. Make sure the dormer is functional. Add a half-bath. Extend the dining room and stretch the master bath. 8 foot ceiling throughout, with the exception of the vault in the great room. 6 foot pitch in the trusses. Take out the palladian windows for something a little more basic, but maintain the integrity of the foyer. And no matter what-- NO SLIDING DOORS, ANYWHERE. But add a French Door to the great room for patio access and remove some of the extra windows in the master bedroom. Take out that random skylight.
Here I was thinking I pretty much wanted things as they were, but you know, you want to get it right. And for those whose eyes have not glazed over yet, I'm planning on a rich brown stucco, metal roof, and white trim. Very northern New Mexico. I'm not a huge Santa Fe fan, but I think this is a nice way to bring together local architecture paired with the traditional home sensibilities found all over the country. And did I mention I'll have a pellet stove-fireplace? Score.
In answer to Reuby's earlier question, two acres IS a lot of property, but the layout of the lot is such that it will provide future owners with room to expand for livestock and what not. Plus also, it's against the neighborhood covenants and restrictions to divide the lot, and that's the way it came to me. It's up on a hill, so the lower area is down near the drainage area. Reub, you especially are invited to come for a visit.
Other than all the house-planning madness, things here are fun and busy. I recently re-joined the local gym, which I love. The people in Los Lunas really are fantastic, and working out with them is a pleasure... except that I'm so sore I can barely move. However, I feel this is evidence of a work-out well done, so I'm not complaining.
Ooh, look. I've become a regular yuppie, all in a matter of weeks. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home