Wednesday, July 5, 2006

The English are sick to death of labour

And I guess so am I. This is it. My last day of work, and my last blog before the move back to the homeland. I should probably say something profound, but I'm not convinced it'll happen-- especially because being brilliant on command isn't my strongest suit.

So what have I gained during my tenure at Excel Entertainment Group? A lot, I think. Shall I enumerate?
1) Good experience, for one thing. Experience on the job (now I can say I really have worked in the PR world) as well as dealing with real world situations (need I remind anyone of the annoying coworker who used to suck spit back into her mouth about every 30 seconds because of her palate expander? Gross).
2) Super friends, for sure. I love the Excel crew. I love how brilliant and crazy they are. I love that they buck convention without being so classically rebellious in the way you'd expect from people working for an independent film company. I like the little voices Tammy does. I love Bettyanne's great stories about her kids, and the way Summer always keeps her fingers together any time she gestures with her hands. I like Brandon's contagious laughter and BP's fake-angry face. I love SarJane's puns and Jacob's love advice. I'll miss Lisa doing her darndest to make sure things are right, and Randy admonishing us to avoid groupthink. I like that Micah doesn't wash his hands after he goes to the bathroom (just kidding). I like that sometimes we go to the movies during work, and that sometimes we have BBQs on the rooftop of our building, causing jealous looks from our neighbors at Zion's Bank.
3) Bragging rights, probably. I mean, when I was the guest speaker for that intro to PR class at BYU for a couple semesters, I was able to share actual war stories. Like telling the kiddos about scoring the spot on the Today Show. That's still pretty awesome.

It's been a good ride, for sure. And I'm scared to death to start over, but I'm glad that I'm taking a leap. I restored a little peace to my life last night while I watched the fireworks. It was funny to juxtapose Independence Day and moving home--essentially giving up my independence for a while. But with the smell of sulfur in the air and the crazy explosions all over the Salt Lake Valley and the frozen virgin margaritas, it all came together for me. Well, at least enough to convince me I'm ok with it all.

It got me started thinking about my email signature. For those of you not privileged enough to get personal emails from me, here you go:

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding." -- Jack Kerouac

Anyway, as weird as the change is going to be, I have every reason to believe that I can explode on the scene and make some great things happen. I mean, why not? I'm a neat girl, I'm full of surprises. How many people do you know who carried a briefcase in 5th and 6th grade? Or who have broken the nose thrice? Or who love folk music as much as I do? OK, so none of these things are particularly amazing, but I like them about myself. I love that on Sunday I ran into a kid I knew from a public speaking class my freshman year at BYU and he said, "Hey, didn't I see your picture in a magazine you edited?" Nice. I like that I went to Space Camp for a week and studied with a marine biologist for a summer, but that I ended up writing for a living. I like that I tried to get a girl to teach me how to play the bagpipes, but when it didn't work out I picked up the harmonica. I like that I send Valentines to everyone in my office but have no qualms about going to the movies by myself.

Anyway, I don't know if that propels me into anyones uber-cool category, but here I am. And here I go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home