Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My funny Valentine

I know this is a bit early, but why not celebrate love all the time, right?
The other day I got an email from my good old pal Eric. We'll call him Hot Eric #2, for lack of a better name. Hot Eric #1 is his roommate, and collectively they are known as "The Erics" or "The Mean Erics." They are actually not mean, but they are handsome and funny. Eric No.1 has red hair and plays the piano, and has the most wonderfully over-the-top-while-still-employing-the-facade-of-a-dry-sense-of-humor mannerisms. H. Eric No. 2 is a brooding, Russian-speaking genius with an obsession with chins (and Democrats). Naturally, I find them both intoxicating.
My last year at the BYU, the Erics gave me the gift of the most wonderful Valentine's Day ever. I went to their apartment, watched "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" and then danced with Hot Eric 1 to "Lady in Red," as recorded by our mutual idol Andrew "T-Rex" Jones. I think they also gave me a flower. Could there be a more perfect day? Every day is Valentine's Day, though, when you are friends with the Erics.
I must say, though, that my sweet little 19-year-old boyfriend/fiance/decoy also has done a mighty fine job of making this week of love memorable for me. Last night he gave me a lovely little sonnet, painstakingly penned, mounted on red, pink and white paper, and then doused with Curve (which actually smells like my dad, but it's ok). For your pleasure, I share with you my darling little Jacob's words (and I hope he doesn't beat me up later):
Rachel's Sonnet
If beauty had a name, yours would be it.
If I was able to describe, I would attempt.
Indeed, no words in the world would fit.
Such beauty is yours, thus grateful I am exempt.
And still I try to define
What effect your flesh and physical substance has on my mind.
To think that you, this most perfect of creations are mine.
I must thank my God for being so kind.
Yet as I think upon your appeal, my mind blinded by my eyes,
I remember your spirit, the reason for my love.
This mortal vision of mine, to think that it lies!
Making me forget your soul as the blessing from above.
The joy that you bring into my life is not merely from sight,
But the magic that emits from you, my one true delight.
Ok, can we give the kid some props for that? Between Jacob's poem, Scott's flowers (don't forget my 18-year-old boyfriend), and the memory of the Erics' fabulous night of diversion, how can I not enjoy the next 48 hours of over-the-top, sticky sweet love all around me? And that, my friends, is why it is just fine to be single as the day is long on Valentine's Day... there's still a lot of love out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home