Thursday, September 13, 2007

I guess I forgot to grow up

The other night my friend J.D. came into town with his wife. J.D. is a miracle worker, and I'm truly grateful for him. Not only did I get to see him, but he brought together a group of people I haven't seen in 8 years or more. It was amazing.
The funniest thing that happened that night was when my friend Jason said, "So, Rachel. What's your story? Are you married? Do you have kids?" It was a good thing I wasn't drinking anything, because I'm sure I would have sprayed the whole table. I don't even think the fact he thought Morris was my husband (or at least, someone did that evening) was the shocking part. No, the thought of me married was just unfathomable. Not to mention raising the children. I can't have children! I'm just a child myself.
But then I got to thinking, "Hey, wait a minute. Almost all of my friends are married." And those close friends who aren't yet are well on their way. Wes is getting married in October. Nathan is taking the plunge in December. Reuben told me yesterday he's getting married in January. So not everyone thinks this is such an out-there concept. I guess it just never occurred to me that I should get married. And I know that sounds unbelievable, considering I used to want to be a wedding planner and I've helped enough friends plan their receptions that I know exactly what mine should look like, down to the Solidarnosc candy as favors. And I know I even joke about proposing to Andrew, and proudly proclaim I'll date 100 boys before I can get married. But I'm in the 80s now-- and it's getting closer. Or it should be. But aren't I like, 16 years old on the inside?
The weirdest thing is, I don't think this realization is going to propell me into some other action. But I guess it never hurts to be a little more aware of what one's limitations and phobias are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home