Thursday, August 9, 2007

Life as a domesticated gypsy

I'm officially back from my latest nomadic adventure-- visiting the great state of Utah for my friend Vanessa's wedding. The wedding itself was beautiful and wonderful and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. The excellent side benefits were getting to see all the Utah peeps I'd missed so much, eating lunch at Big City Soup (next to Sweet Tomatoes, I'm not sure there's a better place in the world-- oh, except maybed Kneaders... you Utah folk know what I'm sayin'), and reuniting (and it felt so good) with some of the bfs and pbfs (platonic boyfriends). With a full canteen, I'm now armed to exist happily in the land of social desolation a bit longer (with no offense to all those I love dearly here in the Land of Enchantment, of course, but you know what I mean). Wow. I speak paranthetically quite often, yes?
The other highlights from the trip included a three-night stop at my friend Andrew's condo. He is crazy. He has a wonderful place and has yet to stay there. I've never slept in such a comfortable bed. I reccomend he move in right away. Also, as evidence that I may actually be slowing down in my old age, I put forth a rather snazzy business proposition to him-- that, if we're both not married in two years, we sell our homes (which, if Andrew would ever move into and use as his primary residence he'd not have to pay taxes on any capital gains after the minimum-two year period), get married, and use our combined equity to move to Poland. We could raise bi-lingual children and have a dog named Talbot, in honor of the literature professor in whose class we met several years ago. I personally think it's brilliant. Who needs true love anyway? Practicality is the thing. Plus also, he's a wonderful person, and I don't really think he'd be getting a raw deal either. But anyway...
I also got to see my friend Sharon and her family. It was her dad's birthday, and as such we had a wonderful dinner. Italians really have it down, don't they? We also had a very interesting discussion on immigration reform. Very interesting to hear an immigrant's point of view.
Hmm... what else? It's the little things that are so thrilling. Like on my way out of town Monday morning, stopping for a bagel on Provo Center Street. Who did I run into but the homeless man who looks EXACTLY like Willie Nelson! It was great seeing him again. Even though we've been apart these many years, it was like coming home.
And I love traveling (even if it is just to Utah) for all the tchotchkes I manage to collect. That's why my house looks like I raided every yard sale from here to Warsaw. This time I came home with IKEA lanterns, a wall hanging with a witch flying in front of a harvest moon for Halloween, a black candelabra for my guest room and a book on Colin Cowie event planning. I feel rich!
But the problem with traveling is the urge to run hits nearly immediately after I get home. I went by my parents' house and found a brochure for European cruises. I've NEVER been on a cruise! What a fantastic idea! There's one that sounds awesome-- similar to one my friend Melissa went on with stops in Instanbul, Ephesus, Athens, Dubrovnik (where I've wanted to go since Matt Lauer recommended it on the Today Show a few years back), Venice, Naples, Rome and Barcelona. OR there's one that's super appealing because it's going all places I've never been-- Berlin, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagen. Anyone wanna go? Don't get me wrong-- sleeping on couches/floors/at people's houses I don't know is awesome, but unpacking once sounds appealing. Wow. I really AM getting old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home