Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dolce Vita

I dozed off a little while ago and had a dream that my mom (who actually IS vacationing in Italy right now) was in need of some kind of important information from home, but we weren't able to get her on the phone, so I flew over to deliver the news. But she was out at some kind of Tuscan cooking class, so I tried to speak to the desk clerk at the villa she was staying. It was very difficult because even in my dream I had a hard time thinking of words I even knew in Italian. It would come out mostly in Spanish and Polish. Something like, "Mi Scusi, signore. Czy Signora Bonnie Sego mieszka aqui?" It was terrible. But they still were able to tell me to wait for her... I guess that's the beauty of the European Union. So I went to this open field where I ran into a very dapper old gentleman wearing a very large, red hat. It looked like one of those Partridge Family-era things-- kind of a knit beanie with a bill. Anyway, he was lying in a meadow filled with golden, fallen leaves, also waiting for someone. He spoke to me in Italian and I had very little idea what he was saying, but he seemed so friendly, it made waiting for my mom (and Paul Giamatti, who she apparently was traveling with), all the more enjoyable.
I could use a vacation. As Bob Wiley (as brilliantly portrayed by Bill Murray) does, under the direction of Dr. Leo Marvin (as played by Richard Dreyfuss) in that timeless classic, "What About Bob?", I need to take a vacation from my problems. I'm SAILING! Faye, is this corn hand-shucked? And I know, I KNOW. I don't really have problems. Except I've been feeling a little lonely lately. It's all very ridiculous, of course, considering I'm positively surrounded by folks all the time-- folks I love, who love me. But you know, sometimes it just feels that way, and the solution is to hit Cabo San Lucas. Or Lake Winnipesaukee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home