Monday, July 14, 2008

In Praise of My Most Superb Boyfriend

Rejoice, for a happier Rachel Sego has returned refreshed from a weekend of frolicking and fun. And even though I still really ought to go on a vacation, I think that I'm feeling rested. Let's see how I feel on Friday, though.
Here is the big news-- which, really shouldn't be that big of a deal, but believe me, it is. I hereby publicly announce that I have a legitimate boyfriend now, and he is super. Hi Ray! Are you embarrassed yet? Yesterday Ray invited me to his parents' house for dinner. On the way in, he said the 'rents didn't know our news yet. But they knew within about fifteen seconds of my arrival, because Ray shouted, "Rachel Sego is my girlfriend." Or something like it. I turned red, I'm sure, but I have to admit, it made me stand a little taller every time he said it. And I thought it was funny that the volume of his voice rose above normal level every time he mentioned it. I am filled with pride.
This is the funniest part of the whole thing-- Ray and I are the same as we've been, I think. I like him. A lot. He is wonderful and smart and interesting. He is nice to me and likes to go to consignment stores. He takes me to Sweet Tomatoes. He is a great kisser. He's going places with his life.
So before this gets mushy, I'll stop. But the point is, I knew all this before Ray got the label. But I like his label, too. And I like the way the label throws other people off a bit. After updating my status on Facebook, I've had several comments from friends, and even more personal messages and emails from people. There are soooo many who keep asking if this is legit (it is). I guess everyone just can't believe it took so long for me to have a bonafide boyfriend. My college chum Petty offered to send a threatening email to him, suggesting that I have a posse of thugs to break knee caps if I get heartbroken. Really a strange sentiment, but sweet in a weird way. Weirder still is my family's reaction. My sister is calling people like her fiance and my aunt, saying, "Guess what! Rachel has a boyfriend! Isn't that so cute? Yes, that's right. He's the first one. Yes, that's right. She's 27. Well, it only took her going out with 88 other guys before she found one who likes her enough to be her boyfriend. Isn't that sweet?"
Anyway, this post is not to put pressure on the bf, who also happens to be one of my closest friends. I'm just saying I'm happy. I'm lucky. And I invite you all to be happy with me.

7 Comments:

At July 14, 2008 at 3:40 PM , Blogger Kari said...

Hip Hip Hooray! I did notice your relationship status had changed on fb, but didnt want to make a big deal about it. But apparently it is ok to do so, so YAHOO! Please post some pictures of the two of you sometime! I liked Steve's comments too about threatening Ray, and I feel the same :) I'm excited for you!!

 
At July 14, 2008 at 7:47 PM , Blogger Lou said...

i hope the date went well my pigtale clad friend!

 
At July 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM , Blogger JMC said...

YAY for super fun and SUPERB men! Well, I will not say much about not having a "real" boyfriend until you are 27 -- I was in the same boat. Went out with some interesting guys... and then I met Matt and well... the rest is history! Have fun!!

 
At July 15, 2008 at 5:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

oh. i see how it is. I'm the inspiration for your move from blogging at myspace to blogspot - and the last to know about it.

 
At July 17, 2008 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Rach! I have been jumping for joy and sharing your excitement since i saw the change on FB! I love you and can't wait to see you ans talk to you in person!! I am so happy for you!

 
At July 19, 2008 at 6:26 PM , Blogger Grant said...

Glad to hear it, and he sounds like a great guy. It's about time someone recognise the gem of New Mexico for what she is. :)

Hey, what's his social cause? Haha, hopefully he doesn't have or need one.

 
At July 24, 2008 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Hilary said...

1,000 wonderfuls to you! I love that you get to talk to Petty. I miss him so. :) I can't wait to hear more about it...keep updating :) xoxo ps I im-ed with Grant Madsen of all people on facebook the other day. So random...haven't spoke to him since he ran off with his intern. :) now they have 2 children. i thought you would appreciate that little diddy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home