Friday, July 25, 2008

Meet the Parents

Boyfriend and I hit a mild milestone last night when he came over for my sister's birthday celebration. I think he and my parents at least saw one another at my surprise birthday party, but they were not introduced. Last night's family dinner was the big night, and I think it went just fine.
Poor Ray was very nervous, but very well prepared. Almost all his clothes were new, and he looked devilishly handsome. Like the best I'd ever seen him, maybe. Except for when he wears his Gap uniformy stuff. He looks pretty good in his church clothes too. But I digress. Have you ever known someone who bought new socks for an occasion such as this? It was super sweet. New clothes certainly are not required for an outing with the very casual Segos, but I was pleased to see a (mostly) confident, happy Ray. What a cruel, cruel shame that he moves in just a few weeks!
I'm on my way to the family reunion this weekend, and I'm a little nervous. Already my mom told me she thought Ray was really handsome and super nice. I'll likely spend the weekend hearing the immediate family extol his excellent qualities( hahaha, as if I need to be convinced!!) and then they'll spread the news of my currently successful, committment-lite relationship to the extended folks. They'll all want to talk about him all weekend. Because I like him so much, I'll want to talk about him too. But I worry that will serve as a reminder of our pending built-in breakup, which I've thus far been able to ignore. Ray asked me last night if I'll be ok when he leaves. I lied. I said yes. And ok, I will be all right. I'm tough. But I think I'm going to be more sad than I want to deal with right now. The solution? To just focus on having the most fun possible for right now. It's going to make it all harder later, but this is one case where I'll advocate living for today.

3 Comments:

At July 25, 2008 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Grant said...

Ahhh the built in break up. It can be nice when it's wanted, but it does seem to come all to soon, doesn't it?

By the way, does your bf read your blog? Ashley used to write about me on hers (good and bad). At first it was just a little weird, then I asked her to stop. Now that we're married I can ask her to delete all those old posts as well.

Just a thought. Glad to hear things are fun right now. Best wishes to both of you going forward.

 
At July 26, 2008 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Rach, So you proly won't get this until later since you are on vacation, any way I wanted to let you know that long distance is hard, but bearable! Take it from someone going through it right now! REally really enjoy the time you have together and how fun it is! and then thankfully we live in a world with cellphones, emails, cars....and everything else that makes contacting the person so much easier! Justin and I, before I left decided that this long distance could either make us break up faster or get closer together. I think we have become closer! It helps you put things into perspective and to figure out how much you really truly do love the guy!! hahaha enough of my rambling. Basically once Ray leaves, if you need a listening ear I am there for you! I know what you will be going through!!! LOve ya, mean it!

 
At August 1, 2008 at 9:12 PM , Blogger Cat said...

Rachel-- I'm now stocking you... What a fun blog-- you are so fun to listen too. I will be checking in on you more than once in a blue moon as many of my other ambitions in life seem to be that often. Well... goodluck w/the distance..lol w/col(this is suppose to stand for cry out loud)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home