Thursday, August 28, 2008

I'm in love with illusion so saw me in half, V 2.0

I guess I haven't felt much like writing lately. I mean, who wants to go to a normally-happy blog and hear "My life is a crap hole?" No one. Plus, I just didn't trust myself to not say something dramatic, condemning, idiotic, etc. I've just been too sad and out of sorts. It got desperate enough that I sent a text message to my own personal life coach/guru/inspirational, motivational, put-on-a-high-pedestal type of friend, asking him to tell me a joke to get my mind off of my sad week. All he said in response (because I made it an early evening and went to bed in favor of crying for hours) was, "What would Dr. Talbot do?" Dr. Talbot was our crazy lit teacher back at the Brigham. I'm sure I've mentioned him before in some of my writing (though it might be in a draft of my book... who knows, right?). The truth is, Dr. T probably wouldn't have one bit of advice. He'd likely just blink a few times, stroke his chin dramatically (this went very well with his tweed-and-elbow-patched sport coats) and then start talking about Montaigne or Borges. From that, I extrapolated that I ought to write. Not that I'm Montaigne or Borges or even Judy Blume, but I thought it might be therapeutic.
Ugh. Breaking up is hard to do (cue the do-wap music).
Wanna hear the latest embarrassing story? The other night, former bf's mother (do you like that I can't bring myself to call him "ex?" It just has too many negative connotations), and I saw one another at choir practice. She's our new pianist, and maybe the cutest lady on the planet. Unfortunately, only 4 students showed up for the first practice, so we were all forced to chat rather than to sing. When the choir director (aka the second-cutest lady on the planet) asked me if I wanted to marry her son, I just blurted out (in a mostly-joking way), "Actually, I still want to marry HER son," pointing to the lovely M.A. Oops. Too bad I don't have a filter. I'm sure she knew it was an exaggeration, but I'd not really planned on letting anyone, let alone fbf's mother, know how sad I was. And then I went home and got back to the business of being sad. I'd done ok for about three days in a row, but I've gone back a step or two.
Anyway, that's the update. Maybe the happy happy joy joy ones won't be too far off. Peace.

2 Comments:

At August 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM , Blogger breckster said...

I think we had the same Talbot. I had him for creative writing... poetry no less.

Also, Did you hear This American Life's Break Up episode? If you go to their website I pretty sure it is still the latest podcast. Its free, its quality, and it will aid in the wallowing, and give you some great ideas on how to deal.

 
At August 28, 2008 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Grant said...

Breaking up is crap. Rebounds help but they bring their own set of problems with them. Boo

However, fear not. You are not a fool. For example, I'm sure she wasn't too embarrassed by your comment. After all, she thinks the world of her son and probably the same of you (how could she not?). Like my mom, I'm sure she was secretly putting voodoo dolls of you two in a voodoo temple and having them exchange voodoo rings. :)

Best wishes, Racheliscious. Don't be too sad, or rather, don't be sad for too long.

Rooting for ya.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home