Friday, January 2, 2009

2009-- So far, so good

I went to the singles' dance the other night... and it was, um, well... interesting. No, that's not the word. It might be better to say it invoked several reactions. As I recall, they included:
* Mild mortification-- All the kids from West Mesa were dressed up to the nines (except Brett E., who I find mildly entertaining, though frustrating as he gets socially awkward at the drop of a hat) and none of the Uni kids got the memo. So when I first arrived, I looked at myself in my dark jeans and sparkly cardigan and felt under-dressed and sad. But then I figured, who cares? I'm cute, and I don't need a ballgown to prove it to anyone.
* Disbelief-- In an effort to not be trampled by the line-dancers (I've always found it a little scary), I positioned myself next to the jaded clique of too-cool-for-school WM kids. I timidly asked, "May I stand here so I don't get kicked?" Rosie S. then told me she might just kick me anyway.
* Sadness-- I missed my girls. It just wasn't the same drinking sparkling cider in the 300 with the boys.
* Warm fuzzies-- The above-mentioned boys DID a very fine job of dancing. It was a little odd that they danced together and with me the majority of the night, but it was fun. Onlookers who did not know better might have thought I was the luckiest girl in the room, having nearly undivided attention from half a dozen boys. And you know what? I probably was. They're all like little brothers, but I love them and it made me more comfortable.
* Discomfort-- Ben G. told me about his recent nervous breakdown. I guess he thought I looked sad while I stood next to a very loud speaker listening to the first song I ever danced with Ray to (good thing Garth Brooks isn't all that popular anymore). We discussed medication.
* Confusion-- We all sort of missed the changing of the year as we watched the line snap for the balloon drop. The malfunction distracted everyone for about 10 minutes. When the confetti finally started floating down, it felt a little stupid to go around kissing. Oops, a missed opportunity. But again, who is there to kiss? My little brothers probably wouldn't have appreciated it.
Still, I don't mean to sound like a complainer. It was a nice night. More people showed up in slightly casual clothing, so I didn't feel like I stood out. I danced and danced. Adding that to bopping around my house getting ready to "Shoop" and "Whatta Man" and "Dirty" (what can I say? Old school junk with heavy bass or attitude-y ladies taking charge puts me in a feisty mood), I got some good exercise. And earlier, as I shimmied around my bedroom, I caught a glance of myself in the mirror and realized I could be a lot worse dancer. So that was a nice revelation.
Another bonus of the evening? A possible new friend to eventually add to the posse. I saw a friend of a friend I'd met a couple of years before. Because he looks interesting, I decided to be bold and actually talk to someone outside my comfort zone. The payoff was really big-- what a surprisingly fascinating chap! I was greatly impressed. It struck me that Jacob is probably what a lot of people pretend to be or aspire to be... just nice and smart and looking to make the world a better place, all whilst marching to the beat of his own drum. I like it.
Likewise, I ran into a girl I knew a decade ago. She's led an interesting life, and it felt good to be reunited. I hadn't thought about her in years, and life has dealt her some difficult blows recently, but she is weathering the storm beautifully. I feel like just seeing her was a tender mercy... she gave me something to aspire to.
It was a good dance. I'm glad I went.
Of course, there is so much more to my year than dancing and um, sleeping. I HAVE slept quite a bit, but it feels heavenly.
Yesterday I had one of those nice, easy days. I went to Wal-Mart, and there were hardly any people there. I had time to speak to TWO cashiers because neither were busy, and they were the most pleasant ladies. I found all kinds of exciting things to buy-- some new workout clothes (you can laugh, but it does make it easier to get to the gym) and a little package of cheese and apple slices. I love this time of year because stores really try to accommodate those of us trying to lead healthy lifestyles. If only they'd keep such products out for more than two weeks!
Later, I attended Zoey's first birthday party, which was brilliant and fun, but draining with all the children running around like maniacs. Afterwards, Paul (now Paulo as we are all trying to go a little more mafia with the names) and Lou came over for a living-room picnic and some movies. I fell asleep in "Talladega Nights" and awoke to find Louise cleaning my living room. I love that woman!
This morning, I took down my mother's Christmas tree, and I'm trying to work up the gumption to go take care of my own. I may hit the movies later. I also have some projects to tackle-- like finally working on fixing those chairs I bought six months ago, or making that lamp out of a gourd. I feel like I should put on some kind of do-rag or a smock and commune with my inner artist. Or I might just dance around my house a bit more. Dancing, resting, doing things to nurture my spirit-- yeah, I like 2009.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home