Monday, July 27, 2009

A Run of Bad Luck

No joke, things have been awful lately.
I don't really know when it started, but were I to hazard a guess, I'd say a week ago Sunday. I started to get really stressed out about a lot of things going on in my life-- most important were concerns I had for several of my friends who were going through some really tough things, but I'll admit, there were plenty of my own petty and selfish little problems. Like on Sunday afternoon, when I'd finally made it home and worked my bum off on behalf of some of the above-mentioned peeps. I got home to find a message from a friend telling me how much I'd offended so-and-so. You know how frustrating it is to hear what an awful person you are after you've been busting your hump all day? It put me in a bit of a sour mood.
Anyway, fast forward through the week. Things kept piling on, and I was a little buried. Thursday felt like the zenith-- with everything directly over my head about to fall on me like a million shooting stars burning through the atmosphere (incidentally, at the family reunion my cousin Curtis gave us an astronomy lesson, and he mentioned that the things we identify as shooting stars are usually just particles of broken asteroid entering our atmosphere, but they're generally no larger than a grain of sand-- pretty spectacular, right? Plus also, it adds a little something to my metaphor).
Regardless, I was at the end of my rope and it felt like no matter what I tried to tackle, I couldn't catch a break. I'd tried my best to do some nice things for my sister for her birthday-- she was super appreciative, but I was in deep with my bro-in-law, who was wicked mad when I was late for my sister's surprise party. I couldn't get anyone to call me back for work and church things. I hit every red light. I went to a store to buy something very specific for my mother, and wouldn't you know, not one of the three Albuquerque stores for this specific chain had the item we really needed. I know these all sound like little, insignificant things, but it was not fun. The worst was when my friends tried to comfort me. I had to tell them to back off, and I know it sounded really mean, but I knew if I let down one inch of my guard, I'd just fall to pieces and wouldn't be able to function. No, scratch that. The worst was getting strong-armed into committing to a date with one of the most ridiculous people I know... this young man looks at me like a meal ticket and I would rather get my teeth pulled than go out with him. Actually, I asked one of my acquaintances to pretend to be Tanya Harding and maim me so I don't have to follow through with the charade. Boo. I laughed at myself for thinking it couldn't get worse.
So the good news is, I had a super time at the family reunion. I did manage to forget to pack the fezzes so I could ride with the Shriners in the parade, but I'm happy to say the family got on splendidly, and even the people who sometimes treat us like we're the Cousin Eddie of the group were actually cordial. I saw some of the fam I hadn't been with in years-- Curtis and Penny and their AMAZING kids, and I fell in love with my cousin Kimber's baby. Millie was the sweetest and pudgiest little girl, and provided some good baby therapy. It was impossible to be stressed or unhappy with that little angel around!
Plus also, there was the great fortune of finally buying my hideous baby puppet:
This is Desmond. I'm in love with him. I've wanted him for years, but I just couldn't justify the price tag. Finally, he was marked down, and I even made a lower offer on him, which I was thrilled the dealer was willing to take. I slept with Desmond under my pillow on Saturday night, thinking my cousin Myka was going to share my room at the cabin. She's been terrified of Desmond since I chased her around the store with him three years ago. I didn't get to scare her until Sunday morning, but the scream was worth every penny. So funny! Desmond and I have bonded. Something tells me he's going to be a big part of my life. Or at least my vaudeville act.
Also, I found a few other treasures-- a Boleslawiec dish in a pattern I'd never seen and a shape I didn't have; some old hats (which I really am going to start wearing on Sundays); an old lightbulb (I'm collecting burnt-out lightbulbs now... old ones are better, but I'm hanging on to all I can find for a bit of Anthropologie-inspired installation art); some watches and old photographs, etc. At one place, I saw this incredible old loaf pan. At first I thought I'd use it as a planter, but then I decided to mount it on the wall over the toilet in my bathroom at the cabin, because I need some storage space, and it's just too quirky and awesome.
Love, love, love the patina. It'll be so nice to have a place to put the toothbrushes and other stuff there's not room for on a pedestal sink.
Also, there was nothing on the walls in my bedroom up there, so I set about trying to change that. Unfortunately, the "Cabinet of Natural Curiosities" prints were too big for the frames I'd brought with me, so they'll make their way up on my wall later, but I did make a little steam-punk clockface picture. I'm rather proud of it. I like the depth and I like that it cost me next to nothing to make. Even the frame was fun-- my mom found it in her craft closet and gave it to me. In black it was boring, but a little fast-drying gold leaf gave it new life.

Anyway, I wish I could say the good luck in the junk stores and at the cabin was indicative of a change in the tide, but that may be speaking too soon. On the way home yesterday, I was focused on some nincompoops in front of me on the road who kept passing with no visibility and nearly causing many accidents, when I missed seeing a log on the road (dropped by one of the aforementioned nincompoops who'd not tied his firewood down in the bed of his truck and who nearly caused several accidents as his load kept falling out of the truck) and I hit it with my front passenger-side tire. I was relieved that there wasn't any apparent damage to the minivan, until about 30 miles later just outside of Espanola where the vehicle started making an awful noise. We thought maybe we had a flat. Pulled over, put the car in park, and all the antifreeze gushed out. My poor brother in law got covered in the stuff (as did my sister) as he loosened a hose under the car. No indication of exactly what is wrong, though we're guessing the radiator or perhaps the water pump. Long story short, we baked in the sun for hours, and I had to leave the precious little egg in Espanola. My dad and our mechanic went to get it this morning, and at least it hadn't been vandalized. But still, it's been one of those times where everything you touch turns to crap.
Anyway, I'm still exhausted and nervous and worried and buried, but on the bright side I have Desmond to keep me company. So maybe my luck will change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home