Monday, September 21, 2009

You Don't Have to watch "Dynasty" to have an Attitude

OK, quick wedding sum up:
Really nice girl married really nice guy. There was a little incident when the bride got red wine on the front of her dress about half an hour before the ceremony was supposed to start, but she was super calm about it (which may be credited to her great personality as well as serve as a testimony to all the wine that she actually consumed without spilling). She looked beautiful, her husband teared up as she walked down the aisle, the weather cooperated, and clean-up wasn't all that big of a deal. Major props to my aunt who didn't freak out about the hundreds of people who seemed to be wandering around her house. Seriously. My aunt's house looks like a magazine spread, and people come to see it all the time, but even in living museums, people generally don't go wandering in certain places. Not at Sylvia's. I went inside the house a few times (and I'll admit, it was a selfish thing-- had to check the score on my game, and it was depressing), but I'd see these strangers come downstairs and look at me like, "What?" I don't think I would have been happy about it, but auntie was a champ. Still, the more weddings I go to, the more elopement sounds like a reasonable alternative.
Honestly, though, I don't know that I was as much help to Sylvia as I'd planned. While I was there, I still got to relax a bit and mentally unwind. I think that's the best thing about visiting Artesia-- I always come back re-focused, calm, and yet energized with creative inspiration. I got a little shopping in (GREAT deals on presents for brother's upcoming birthday, as well as a kick-a dress for myself-- I could really use a date to show it off), but I mostly spent my time devouring Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol." Finished it about 1 this morning. Like all his books, there are some so-called twists that are easy to pin-point early on in the story, but it was a great little page-turner. Good thing I have several books in the to-read pile on my bedside table, because I can't seem to start a book without plowing through (with the exception of the one Pam lent me, which I will read... eventually!). I am a media maniac, and my appetite for engaging entertainment is insatiable.
For example, I got home relatively early yesterday. I'd planned on working on some painting or other stuff for the boutique, but I was so tired, I just sat on my couch watching "Gossip Girl" (season 2). After 4 episodes, I was a little disgusted with myself (I know that show is really the devil, but I like it so much). So what did I do? Oh, I made a couple of phone calls and sent a couple of texts. But then I sat in my corner chair, bundled up in the pjs and blankets, and read for the next four hours. Seriously. I rarely have time to do such a thing, but when I think of the seven hours of entertainment consumption yesterday, I wonder if I have an addiction. I think I'm safe so far because the gorge doesn't happen so often, as my life is full of other things. But it's times like these I'm happy I don't have cable.
Still, with the massive GG consumption, I find myself practicing giving dirty looks and acting like I'm all that (no major scandals for me, thank you, and even though I love the wickedness of the show, that's about all I can bother the emulate). After three hours and eight minutes of GG, I started thinking about how lame all my pseudo boyfriends are, and was ready to give them the heave-ho. Anyway, if you run into me and I'm workin' the attitude, you'll know why.

1 Comments:

At September 21, 2009 at 1:30 PM , Blogger Sokphal said...

1. You are ALL that!
2. I love Gossip Girl! It can get a bit crazy sometimes, but it had me at "that mother chucker!" Reach for your inner Blair, Rachel!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home