Monday, February 22, 2010

Raindrops, Whiskers, Packages, Sashes

Missing in Action? Yes, yes I am. Was. Um, hopefully won't be forever. Things are busy. And confusing. And wonderful. And not the way I'd planned, but I'm pretty OK with it all. Mostly, I've just been fighting through the mountains of paperwork on my desk. I made a lot of progress today. I see a light ahead. But that doesn't mean I've forgotten you, gentle readers.
Some things I've been thinking about and things that have made me extra happy over the past few days:

* I think every breakup needs a song. I know that's cheesy, but the BEST breakup ever included me walking down a few hundred steps, dramatically singing "Tell Me on A Sunday" from Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Song and Dance." Then we made out. But it was pretty wonderful, and for a while, I was absolutely contented with it. You see, not every breakup calls for Bob Dylan's "Positively 4th Street" ("I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes/You'd know what a drag it is to see you"). Of course, now when I think about Mr. Tell Me On A Sunday, I'm more prone to hum Ingrid Michaelson's "Glass" ("Rolled around on kitchen floors/ Tied my tongue in pretty bows with yours/And now we pass, and just like glass I see through you/you see through me like I'm not there/You could make my head swerve/used to know my every curve/And now we meet on a street and I am blind/I cannot find the heart I gave to you"). I'm just sayin'. I have no intention of having any more breakup songs, but if it happens, you know it will be musical.

* Why, oh why didn't I borrow Jordan's "Flight of the Conchords" DVDs before? It's Business Time.

* I would like to publicly express my gratitude for the Food Network today. Mom and I were tuning into a little Barefoot Contessa during afternoon diet-caffeinated-soda time, and I started listing many of my favorite go-to recipes that have made me a domestic diva. Oh, sure, there's the sandwich I copied from Panera Bread and the Asian Crunch Salad I mimic from Flying Star, but there'd be no Roasted Tomato Soup without Tyler Florence. Giada de Laurentis has given me access to amazing risotto and most recently a simple baklava. Men fall at my feet for Ina Garten's Grilled Chicken Ceasar Sandwich, Chicken Picatta, Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Rosemary Onions and Pear and Apple Crumble. I'll admit, Paula's staples aren't always on my list, but those Danish pinwheels are great for a party. And as a PS, thank heaven for Trader Joe's, the store without which I could not live.

* My Anthropologie-loving friends, let me also take a moment to wax emotional about the majesty of the store's inspiring displays and the friendly staff who are more than happy to help you with ideas of incorporating their design elements into your own home. I've been feverishly making plastic water bottle flowers for a few weeks now, but seeing my local Anthro do their own version of the display was extra-inspiring. I know my mantle will be so much better off for the spring treatment, and maybe my friend Kacie's wedding as well. Pictures to come soon-- if I ever get another digital camera.

* I love when Jacob wears man capris. There is nothing sexier on this planet. Add the South African shoes and Tibetan t-shirt, and I'm in heaven.

* Looking forward to some friend visits in the next few weeks. I've got all sorts of plans for my dear Nathan, and I'm looking forward to relaxing with Josh. And Sokphal, don't worry-- I've not forgotten you! Prepare to embrace the Land of Enchantment.

* I've got a gig as a Tarot-Card reader this weekend. I guess I should pull those things out. I really don't know the first thing about it, but it should be fun to be a carni for the weekend. Also, will there be a rendezvous in Vaughn? Only time will tell!

OK. Off to format a book we're binding tomorrow night for Relief Society. I'm humming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home