Monday, March 8, 2010

Catching Up with The Mute

So it was brought to my attention the other day that I've been a blogging slacker for the last little bit. It's not that I've forgotten, I've just been down and a little out of the loop. Here is the basic recap:
Went to Artesia a couple of Fridays ago to use my acting/"clairvoyant" abilities at my aunt's late Mardi Gras party. I was a hit! This might have had something to do with the drinks. Sylvia was good enough to make me a Virgin Hurricane-- it was sweet enough that my eye started twitching a bit. She made her other guests what she called "Been around the block a few times" Hurricanes. Enough said.
Fortunately, my mighty immune system was really working overtime, so I was in perfect health for the party. I'd been worried I might end up with the terrible cold that plagued my nieces just days before, but I spent the weekend fit as a fiddle.
Unfortunately, however, my rockin' white cells could only take so much, and by Monday, I started coming down with the COLD FROM HELL. I know it's not the worst I've ever felt, but believe me, I'd not wish it even upon the peskier pests in my life. Monday morning, it was just a sore throat. By Monday evening, I was down for the count. I'm actually sure that the problem was exacerbated by being told I was too old to date by a helpful friend. Shredded self esteem + viral funkiness = very ill Rachel.
So that's where I've been-- in a cloud of achiness. I gave up and took some decongestants, even though I hate the way they make my heart race. I had a rather piercing ear infection, which was not funny, but even I'll admit the loss of equilibrium was... just a little bit. I may have felt bad, but even I can see the humor in an adult walking into walls.
Anyway, the only really sad thing about this was the way it wiped me out a bit during my visit with my friend Nathan. Nate came from California, and I fear I was only a mediocre hostess. I didn't even cook for him-- for breakfast Saturday morning he had Trader Joe's scones and a fruit salad-- and I don't consider washing and slicing berries cooking. We went to a dance Saturday night and I did my best to be energetic, but it took its toll. On Saturday, we met up with Pamsy and Lou Lou to have a Mediterranean Day (movie at the NMMNHS about mummies, lunch at Olympia, gelatto at Ecco) and later for dinner and 3D Alice (liked it, but I still think the earlier animated film is my fav), and my voice disappeared. Completely! The girls thought it was particularly funny that after talking all day long in a hoarse voice, two hours of not speaking is what did me in! But never fear-- this afternoon I'm functioning at about 70 percent voice again, so the world was not long without my insightful blitherings.
Anyway, not only was I not able to do much for Nathan (I think he was disappointed we weren't having a Spin-the-Bottle party, but not too much), but also I couldn't even share important things with my friends. For example, as we exited the theatre Saturday night, there were all sorts of odd folks lurking near the restrooms. One was this couple, probably in their late 40s, totally making out next to the Men's Room. I will say it was funny when I tried to tell Nathan about it on the car ride home. My pantomiming skills were rather improved out of necessity, which makes me think my upcoming date with Steve Rich will be a success. Another funny thing was there was a kid with long, greasy hair, a trench coat, top hat, and these silver John Lennon specs holding up the wall by the Ladies' Room. It made me laugh so much, because it reminded me of the time this temp at Excel named Ruthann (or, Cheeto, as some of the boys called her) told me one of her crazy stories about her son. I recall her saying, "Rachel, did I ever tell you about the time my son Lyle met the devil?" I told her not that I recalled (she'd already explained how the Utah Mafia lives near Olympus High School, and how Memory Grove is haunted), and she said her son was once at some club downtown, and went to a bathroom. While he was washing his hands, he heard a voice say, "Hello Lyle." Lyle looked at the man, who was dressed exactly like my friend at the movie theatre, and said, "I'm sorry, do I know you?" And the man said, "Oh no, but I know YOU, Lyle. I've been watching you VERY CAREFULLY." Anyway, I guess that was the extent of it, but what made this particularly funny to me is I've seen this kid before-- I think at the Valley Lutheran Church's Craft Fair last October. Pretty sure he's not the devil.
Anyway, I suppose that is all I have for an update at the moment. Saw my sweet little friend Will at his mission farewell party last night, and he told me he'd marry me if he wasn't married by the time he's 30. I'm not sure this makes me feel better. I'm having dinner tonight with some of my friends, and I'm pretty excited about that. Insulation work is picking up a tad, so I'm busier than ever in the work department. This is really all. I will be better about writing! I promise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home