Thursday, June 9, 2011

Things to Love About Summer

So, summer and I are not usually great friends.
I LOVE autumn and everything about it-- the crisp air, the cozy clothes, the bounty of the harvest... you know, all that fun stuff. Autumn makes me feel like everything is possible again (probably from all those new school year Septembers). But summer? It's so hot, and I'm not really outdoorsy. I don't know how to swim, so cooling off means staying in my office under the air conditioner. I don't look good in summery clothes, because 1) I'm into modesty and 2) I don't have the body for it.
HOWEVER, I'm turning over a new leaf (see, even my cliches are autumn-based). I've decided to love summer this year, and I have big plans for the next several months.
First of all, it's preparing for a fall ritual. Big news: The Boho Babes Boutique is moving to Artesia, New Mexico this year, and we're kicking around the idea of doing it in September rather than October. So in preparation for the big fall event, I've got to get making stuff. On the short-list this year are paper crowns, more of my upcycled lingerie, steampunk jewelry, a re-incarnation of the plastic bottle flower mirrors, and various linens created with the YuDu.
And don't think that I've forgotten about Christmas-- it's June, so it's on my mind. Mostly, I'm trying to get another round of family history documents formatted for the family's Christmas gift. This year I'm doing the life sketch of Aunt Babe. It should be a sweet little volume, but little books still take a long time to edit, format and bind. The sooner I get this behind me, the better. My mum also needs some help with a cookbook she's compiling. She wants to have nice ones made for all the kids for Christmas, but we're talking about selling them at the boutique as well, so I've got my transcribing and editing and binding work cut out for me. So yes, summer means getting a lot of projects done. I do have to say I love the extra daylight-- it helps me be productive.
Another thing that I'm always working on is turning myself into a super-model. Well, or something like it. You know what I mean. The weight-loss total as of Tuesday night was 22 lbs. It's a good beginning. I'm very rewards-driven, so I told myself when I hit the 2-5 I can start tanning again. I know, you cancer-warning naysayers-- but it gets me to the gym frequently, and I promise not to go for more than a couple of months. Just long enough to be bronzed through October (which means I can quit in August) for my trip to DC to see the bestie. I'm hoping to meet her special man, and I don't want him thinking her friend is an albino.
And when I get to the 30 lb mark? I really want this cruiser:


Yes, it's just a Huffy. Yes, it's just from Wal-Mart. Reuben, please don't think ill of me, oh Bike King. I just want a one-speed because I'm not fancy, and I can pretty much only ride it in my parents' neighborhood. It's affordable for a poor girl like me, and I think the (huge) seat will adjust down far enough that my legs can reach the pedals. I like that it's a woman's bike, and I like that it's mint green and brown. I like the big wheels, and I know it will look really good with a wicker basket on the front and a little bell on the handles. I like that I can brake with my feet. So this bike is keeping me going, even more than tanning.

I showed it to my dad, and he said, "But where would you ride it? We don't have sidewalks." He didn't seem to understand that you don't ride on sidewalks anyway, but then again, he didn't understand when I told him I'm thinking about taking an online course to become a certified wedding planner. The thing is, I've always wanted to do it, it's not too expensive, and I think I'd be good at it. Dad, who is in a bit of a Negative Ned mood, thinks the pressure is too high. But I need a little pressure, and I need a side business to supplement my insulation income (and support my bargain-shopping habits). More to come on this, but I'm really excited. I think I'll make the fee for the course my 35 lb reward.

So all-in-all, the long days are full of trips to flea markets and cleaning out closets (it's mostly happy that a lot of my pants are too big, though I wish I could spend my money on more stuff from Michaels and less on jeans), in addition to the long-fiberglass-filled days. I'm planning on helping the nieces have a lemonade stand around family-reunion time and I'm even trying to not be such a heat wimp and going outside a little more. Yeah. Me and summer. We're all right.

5 Comments:

At June 9, 2011 at 5:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What am I? some kind of bike snob? No. I def think you should have a cruiser if that's what you want. I ride a singlespeed half the year myself. I'm more into the MIXTE aesthetic, but whatever. If you want a beach cruiser, then that's what you should have.

 
At June 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Sokphal said...

Aghhh! Yes, you are seriously thinking about coming to DC!!!! Wahoo!!! You just made my day! Going to try and call you again tomorrow!

 
At June 9, 2011 at 7:47 PM , Blogger Lou said...

my mom's bike is so cool. it has a huge seat and is wasabi green with total throw back to the 70s swirls. it also is an automatic that switches between three gears based on how hard your working. i love it and have high hopes to steal it some day, because truth be told she does not ride the awesome thing.

 
At June 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

So excited for you!!!!

 
At June 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM , Blogger Lani said...

You would be an awesome wedding planner! Go for it. And I know I'm always more productive when I have tons of projects and pushing myself. Otherwise, we would just get bored and not accomplish everything.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home