Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I wonder to myself— could life ever be sane again?

Today is the end of an era--my beloved morning show pal, Katie Couric, is moving on to another gig. It's a little hard on me, seeing "America's First Family" breaking up this way. It kind of reminds me of high school when this lady I knew checked out of her marriage to move across the country for a dude she met in a chatroom. Only not. Because I wish Katie all the best at CBS, and if I'm ever home for the national evening news, you can bet I'll check in with her, at least occasionally. And as a devoted "60 Minutes" fan I know this is metamorphosis, not death. (Side note: Katie AND Anderson Cooper?!?! Could "60 Minutes" get any better? Oh yeah-- if we could keep Mike Wallace a little longer.)

Still, when I think about what was happening in my life a year ago, it's not something I can say I expected. No, I think this time last year I was still elated that Mister West from the Chunga and Mister Morning Show had dedicated his top news stories and Hollywood Headlines to me (thanks to Ryan Little for setting that up--completely unforgettable). Despite the rumors of talks with CBS that would soon ring in my ears, Katie's departure hardly entered my mind. Now I'm supposed to start my day with Meredith Vieira? It's all very surreal.
Lest you think I've just jumped on the "Goodbye Katie" bandwagon today, I want you to know I've given this quite a bit of thought. Last night, for example, I was on a little stroll, and probably considered the implications for at least a mile--which I think says a lot, especially because I have so many other things on my mind these days. But then I decided to take the philosophical route and consider Katie's departure a metaphor for change in my own life. Thats what it is. Change. Just because I'm trying new things, hanging out with new people, etc., doesn't mean things aren't good or that I'm not still me. Just because we'll see Katie on CBS instead of NBC doesn't mean she won't still be the awesome journalist, colon-health promoting, trailblazing woman we've all come to know and love. I just hope people will give her a chance to be her best self as the evening news anchor she's capable of being, and I hope folks will be ok with the changes that happen with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home