Thursday, August 10, 2006

It was really nothing

I had another first today-- I mowed the lawn for the first time in all my 25 years.
Usually when I tell people that, they think I'm spoiled rotten or lazy or something. The truth, from my point of view, seems two-pronged. First, mowing the lawn was one of the few chores I DIDN'T have. Second, my mom always told me she was afraid I'd cut my toes off like my cousin Curtis (who actually lost his toes riding a bicycle barefoot). Anyway, I actually liked it quite a bit. I was having a kind of rough evening-- got a little bit of disappointing news. I noticed our grass looked like a jungle, and with my brother leaving on a hunting trip in the morning, I knew I'd be the one to do it. So I had to have him teach me how to start the thing, but other than that, things went pretty well. There are a few spots that seem a little higher than the rest of the lawn, but not bad for a first try. I think it's like cutting hair. You have to start sometime, and your first cut won't be your best. That said, if anyone would like me to style them with a faux-hawk, I'd be more than happy to lend an artistic hand.
New Mexico is still enchanting, and RAINY. I think today has been the first day it hasn't rained since I moved back a month ago tomorrow. How the time flies! Chevron, do you miss me terribly?
I think it's good for me to have this week with my parents out of town. I'm learning to channel some of my own inner-superhero. This morning I was having my teeth cleaned, but transferred the business calls to my cell and managed to help a customer with a bunch of tooth-polishing gunk in my mouth. If I can do that, I imagine I can do anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home