Monday, August 7, 2006

Lady of the House Speaking

Um, being in charge is kind of hard and not all that fun.
My parents are out of town on this cruise, my little sister just went back to college, and my brother works till about 7 every night. I am left in charge of running the business and running the household. It's not too bad, but it always leaves me with a lot of respect and gratitude for and my mother-- I think she's a superhero or something.
So far I've managed to slightly injure myself twice this morning. First, I was in the shower and had to take a phone with me to the bathroom (oh, the joys of a home business where the workday starts before 7 a.m.!) and fortunately only had to get out once to take a call. UNFORTUNATELY, however, when I went to grab a towell off the counter, the phone came with it and landed on my big toe. You wouldn't think that would hurt very much, but you wouldn't be right.
Then, I tried to feed my dog, but that has proven to be more of a challenge than anything. My mother, the kind, nurturing soul she is, has spoiled Molly quite a bit and she won't eat dog food (Molly the dog, of course. My mother never eats dog food either). Instead, she usually feasts on chicken breast, ground beef, hot dogs, or whatever we're eating (she really likes spaghetti and Hawaiian Haystacks). Well, she was out of chicken so I tried to give her some turkey. There was some lunch meat in the refigerator I cut up, presented on a lovely paper party plate, and wished her a hearty, "Smacznego!" Molly turned her nose up at it.
Well, to make a long story shorter, I couldn't find other meat alternatives, so I set about making her some chicken in the good old pressure cooker. This was my first experience with the thing, but my mom explained how to use it (in general terms) a few days ago and I thought if I didn't do something, my little dog would starve. Or growl at me until I broke down and bought her chicken nuggets at some fast food joint. All went well until I took the lid off the thing and burnt my thumb on the steam. It's a little tender, but I expect I'll live.
Anyway, I'd best get back to my duties. I'm changing the sheets on all the beds and doing other laundry. I've got to clean out the refigerator, and I'd like to organize the kitchen cabinets. This afternoon I've got to hit the bank, the cleaners, the grocery store, and at the rate I'm going, the pharmacy. It's tough being a mom, even if it's just to a small, demanding dog.
PS. It certainly doesn't look like I'll be adding a Mister to my relationship equation any time soon-- I'm too backward socially. Most of the time I'm able to blame this on the complete lack of interesting men in my community, but it's really me. Yesterday at church, I saw a REALLY cute dude. 30, just passing through on his way back to Los Alamos-- he'd flown into Albuquerque from his vacation home. Cha-ching! But all I could do was babble some nonsense about how I'd heard there are a lot of Polish people in Los Alamos. Yikes. Well, at least I'm fabulous. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home