Sunday, March 18, 2007

Shelf Paper and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

OK... it's the middle of the month now. Still no moving-in party. All I lack is a propane tank and a final inspection. It's getting close now.
This weekend I bought the cleaning supplies. I'd forgotten how much it costs when you get the stuff all at once... but it's ok. There's something really exciting about all of it. I've got a pristine-white trashcan for the kitchen. I've got a really cute broom and dust-mop, and, if you can believe it, fashionable rubber gloves for washing dishes. I bought toilet brushes and toilet-bowl cleaner, and sponges and Mr. Clean Magic Erasers (what a grand product!) and carpet fresh in "Clean Linen" scent. I know my house is starting off clean and all, but it's like the spring-cleaning bug is compounded by the need to get everything arranged. Tonight I lined about a quarter of my cabinets with shelf paper (a job I hate, but I feel a good sense of accomplishment) and I'm looking forward to putting up the shower curtain in the guest bathroom.
Truthfully, what I'm really looking forward to are the parties and the guests. This weekend it was like the Polish embassy phoned. Friday night I was getting ready to go out dancing with the peeps when I received a call from my old pal, Pani Heather. Heather is part of a little clique called the "Pani Triumvirate" from my second summer in Lublin. We were chatting about my plans for the evening when suddenly Heather's voice became quite masculine. No! Actually, it was my good friend Nathan, who is now friends with Heather in D.C. (Nathan and I met and became palsy-walsy during my first trip to Poland... he was always good to have around when you were looking for a W.C.-- he could spot 'em from a mile away!). So, much to my own surprise and happiness, I got to speak to TWO of my favorite kids from the Lublin era of my life. But wait, there's more. After a brief discussion on the progress of my house, I heard a third, special voice on the phone. It was none other than Andrew, my very own scarecrow (that is, I love and miss him most of all). Andziej is the one I went to Prague with, and the one I've always admired because he's such a doer. Like once, he noticed a smoke stack on campus was putting out mighty amounts of pollution, so he found a way to help BYU cut back on the problem. It was amazing, and so is he. Anyway, Andrew was visiting Nathan (his former roommate) in D.C., and they met up with Pani Heather. The only thing that would have made it better would have been for me to actually see them, but here's hoping it'll happen soon. And now that the house is practically finished, I'll be able to accommodate any or all of them quite comfortably. Andrew also tells me he's building a condo in P.G., which I'll get to see when I'm in Utah for Nessa's wedding later this year. Oh, it's simply blissful. I love my friends!
But again-- there's more. Tonight during the shelf-papering extravaganza, I received a phone call from the OTHER wonderful member of the triumvirate-- Pani Emily. Emo tells me she's now engaged, so the weekend is getting better and better.
I have all these visions of people I love coming to stay with me, letting me show them why New Mexico really is enchanting.
But even if that takes a while, I think the locals will pop in and pay me a visit or two here and there. Tonight a couple of my neighbors stopped by. I've known them practically all my life (the wife used to babysit me when I was very little, and she led the singing in Primary on Sundays), and I know it'll be great living next door to their family. They told me that their 13-year-old daughter (honestly, I remember when that kid was born!) has been asking them if they thought a) it would be all right for her to visit me, and b) if I'd have Otter-pops in my freezer. You can bet I'll be stocking up on them now. Isn't that so cute?
Friends, come see me. There may just be an Otter Pop in it for you! Love, Pani Rachel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home