Monday, August 3, 2009

Daylight Robbery

OK, so I know this is long overdue, and most of you already heard, but here's the quick-quick update on getting robbed:
Last Wednesday, I'd just returned back to the office with Mom and Zoey-- we'd run some errands in Albuquerque and had a pretty pleasant day. I'd found a great free-standing globe for a song (seriously, it's one of the least expensive ones I've ever purchased, and definitely one of the cooler ones) and I was pretty excited to take it home. I'd even thought about dropping my purchases off at my house on the way home, but decided it was best to get Zoey back to grandma's, stat.
Well, I'd only been home for a little bit when my brother called. His neighbor had called him, in response to another neighbor's call. Apparently, my alarm was going off and the police were at my house. I gave Zozer to g-ma and drove the three minutes to my house, all the time hoping my storage room door had blown open or something and that there was a mistake.
But no mistake. Someone kicked in my front door about 3 p.m. (right about the time I would have taken Ma and Z by my house) and stole my jewelry box. They ransacked the guest room (it IS the fanciest, but ironically, houses the most old stuff that no one else would really want), and when they couldn't find anything, they conveniently took my whole jewelry box and my 35 mm camera on top. At first I thought they hadn't even got anything, but the dust line on my dresser was evidence enough.
So there's been a great outpouring of love ever since. My little bro has worried like crazy, and he's very gung-ho about finally building my fence. Anthony offered to buy me a vicious dog, but because I don't even particularly like non-vicious dogs, I've begged him not to. There's not room for an animal in my life right now. Spencer and I were supposed to hang out that night, but he took me to lunch on Friday instead. Toby, my door guy, is amazing, and so is his staff. They took care of me after hours, and now the only way you can tell my current door isn't the original is because the paint doesn't quite match. But it's ok. The thieves left my rings and earrings (I guess they could tell they weren't too fancy), but I was much more devastated by the loss of my plastic, gypsy jewelry than by the gold (of course, the gold was worth quite a bit, and I'm sad to lose all those interesting travel pieces-- Nefertiti from Egypt, the garnet necklace from Prague, my big chunky green amber from Poland, etc.). My darling, darling little sister knew how sad I was to lose those bracelets I wore nearly every day, and she gave me one of hers that matched my ultimate favorite. I cried a little last night when I thought about how sweet that was.
At the end of the day, there's a lot to be happy about. I feel really blessed to have been prompted to go straight to the office, because who knows what harm could have come to Mom and Zoey? I'm grateful that as annoying as it is, and as much as I love to shop, I'm actually not a very materialistic person and wasn't really upset about the things that were missing. And, funny enough, I was really glad I'd cleaned house the night before so when I found the police taking pictures of my entire house, I took comfort in the fact there wasn't laundry lying around or toothpaste on the bathroom mirror or dishes in the sink. I was pretty annoyed that the criminals tracked mud in, but what can you do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home