Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I hate that October is 75 percent gone. I wish it could last at least twice as long. Get rid of August and the unbearable heat. Take a bit from November, and keep my Indian Summer. We've had monumental rain for the last couple of days, and it's making all the beautiful golden leaves squishy and shiny. My overcast days inspire indulging in life's little luxuries-- like a candlelit bubble bath in the morning (by the way, I don't even want to remember baths before the jetted tub-- the churning water produces suds high and dense enough to make me modest and comfortable enough that were a stranger to walk into my bathroom, I'd feel fully clothed) and a cup of hot herbal tea (how I love the Black Cherry Berry!) at my desk as I crank out the invoices and proposals, and look longingly out the window to the peaceful gloom of the weather.
Last night was luxurious. I made vegetable soup for my parents with leftovers from Sunday night's mini soiree. Then I took a drive in the rain because I wanted to enjoy it before snuggling in at home. I should have been crafting some great Christmas items for Saturday's show, but instead I got into some polka-dot pjs and watched "Everything is Illuminated" and talked to my sister and one of the besties. I've been re-reading the forever-long to-do list books to see what I can check off since the last examination a few months back. Those check-marks make me feel like I'm accomplishing something.
And now, work is calling. The day will be busy, but I may just get to squeeze in some time kissing the nieces (I kissed Paizlee's foot the other day while she was sleeping in her swing, and she woke up and smiled-- like my pal Brecken, I can tell the difference between genuine baby smile and gas, especially because P has some kind of reaction to me holding her-- it always inspires her pooping reflex). I've also been itching to visit my sister in Rio to cuddle her doggie children. Well, Winnie, the Shorkie. Gus the Bulldog is lovable, but a little too rough and drooly and strong to invite much snuggling. There's always tonight to do craft projects. Or not. Whatever. We'll see.
In the mean time, I'm just grateful to have been able to wear sweaters every day this week and for different umbrellas to coordinate with all my different cardigans. It sounds excessive, or obsessive compulsive, but it just one of life's simple pleasures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home