Wednesday, December 23, 2009

At last-- Christmas Spirit on Christmas Eve's Eve

Well, it took long enough, but I think I'm finally over my bah-humbugs. I am bursting with Christmas spirit! Woot woot!

To answer Pammie's text query, no, I never did manage to hang up a single bough of mistletoe. I'm a slacker! Perhaps tonight. Definitely before a couple of my special friends come into town for the new year. Honestly, it took me so long to get those decorations up, I feel like I ought to leave them out till January 1.

Perhaps the magical change came last night. Ashley and Robert are spending Christmas in Texas with his family, so we had them open their presents last night, and they brought some down for us as well. Zoey and I had picked up pizza and ice cream (she managed to get Daiquiri Ice all over my car, but I don't care) and then we did some gift exchanging. Z loved her shopping cart from Aunt Ashley and Uncle Robert. She also did a good job with the potty-training stuff, so she got a prize (amazing what little kids will do for a Disney Princess sticker, isn't it?). Paizlee was very pleasant. She's "talking" now, and seems to like me best when I'm changing her diapers. Of course, after she's clean, she thinks she's hungry, and I'm very little help to her. But she did suck on my cheek last night, which was funny and disturbing all at once. At first, I thought she was just giving me a little kiss, but then I realized she thought my face was a boob, and I don't really know what to think of that. Still, I love my little girls!

Anyway, it's never about the getting, but I do have to say I'm loving the nesting doll pitcher and CRAZY suitcase from Norb and Rasputia (my sister and bro-in-law's self-imposed nicknames), and it was super-duper fun to see Zoey's eyes light up over the whole thing. She kept bringing Ashley presents, regardless of who they were meant for. I now happen to know I'm set to receive a beautiful orange blouse on Friday morning. But that's OK... we tend to have at least one present mix-up every year. I nearly (accidentally, I might add) absconded with one of my sister-in-law's gifts our first Christmas with her in the fam. It was so embarrassing! But it's a good story.

Also helping my Christmas mood? Grocery shopping, believe it or not. Yes, Albertsons was a mad-house, but I like the way holiday shoppers bond over seriously odd things. I made a friend in the dairy aisle as we discussed the best deal on whipping cream. I told her I wanted a clean house for Christmas, so this evening I planned to clean for Baby Jesus. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, but y'all know Santa tends to freak me out. Also, I made a life-long friend of a man who was buying four cans of pumpkin. A cashier opened an extra line and motioned me over. All I said to pumpkin man was, "Sir, this gentleman has just opened another line. Why don't you go in front of me?" Now I'm going to be his grandchildren's godmother. Also, as I walked out to my car, I noticed everyone grinning at me. I thought to myself, "What pleasant people are the good citizens of Los Lunas!" But maybe it was because I was grinning. I like when joy is contagious.

Also helping my mood is my selection of Christmas tunes. I've been trying to be careful about which holiday songs I expose myself to, because some of them put me in a terrible mood. That Christmas Shoes song, for example, is perhaps the most obnoxious thing ever put on the radio, and I'm rather convinced that if I go to hell, it will be the soundtrack. Other so-called Christmas songs I don't care for: "Santa Baby" because it's greedy and a little too burlesque (not that I don't like a good Moulin-Rouge-y tune, but not in conjunction with something that should be holy) and pretty much anything by 98 Degrees. I think I'd like the one Christmas single a lot, but my roommate freshman year at the Brigham nearly killed me with that song on repeat. OK. I take it back. That one is tolerable. Boys II Men's "Silent Night" is a little too jazzy. I prefer Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass doing "Jingle Bells" if I want something with a little swing. I absolutely can't abide listening to Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" because once I walked in on one of my boyfriends working out to it. Shirtless. In June. He answered the door to his studio apartment in just pj pants, with Mariah blasting. He said it pumped him up for push-ups. It was truly bizarre.

But anyway, in case you were curious as to what IS on my iPod Christmas playlist, here you go:

* Breath of Heaven-- Amy Grant (I know, I know, you don't have to tell me, but I think it's beautiful anyway)
* Christmas/Sarajevo 12/24-- Trans-Siberian Orchestra
* Winter Song-- Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson
* Happy Christmas (War is Over) -- John Lennon
* Adeste Fidelis-- Andrea Bocelli
* Ave Maria-- Josh Groban
* Song for a Winter's Night-- Sarah McLachlan
* Do They Know It's Christmas?-- Band Aid
* God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen--Barenaked Ladies & Sarah McLachlan
* Little Drummer Boy-- Bing Crosby & David Bowie
* Feliz Navidad-- Jose Feliciano
* Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas-- Judy Garland
* The Nutcracker Op. 71: No. 2 March and Op. 71: No. 12d, Character Dances: Trepak-- Tchaikovsky
* The 12 Days of Christmas-- Straight No Chaser
* Christmastime is Here: Vince Guaraldi Trio

Finally cementing my Christmas-y mood-- I had dinner with my friend Sister Frances tonight. She's a nun. I told her the story of the time the nuns drove me to the hospital in Lublin and the three in the back said the rosary for me, while the driving nun had road rage. I also told Sister about my date with the priest, Father Richard. She finds me humorous, I think. I love Sister Frances. She's one of the best people I know. Mum and I spent a good chunk of the day with her.

All in all, I'm feeling warm and fuzzy. I'm officially "on vacation" now-- er, not working, that is, though time with Frances did keep me from completely finishing some invoicing, so I'll likely work a bit tomorrow. But here are my plans for the next 36 hours or so (sleeping is not accounted for in the to-do list, but you can bet your boots I'll be doing some of that):

* Making and delivering Egg Nog Pound Cakes to friends (I've got six more to go!)
* Cleaning house and finally hanging the mistletoe
* Making the baked beans for Christmas dinner (Friday's, that is-- I'm also in charge of the ham, but that's easy and will go in the oven before I go watch Zoey's Santa reaction).
* Wrapping my father's presents (don't ask me why his are the only ones that have been neglected, but I want them to look spectacular) and putting a giant bow on the big thing I got for my sis-in-law (it won't fit in a bag, I mean, and it's not wrapping paper friendly-- don't worry, it's not alive).
* Working on costume pieces for the live nativity my cousins and I are planning for our family Christmas Eve party. My cousin's preggers wife will be Mary, and I nominate Paiz to be the blessed child. Janalee thinks her husband Justin should be the donkey so she can ride him in, and I'm hoping Garret will step in as the inn-keeper. That leaves either my father or uncle for Herod. I guess I'll either be Anna or an angel. Anyway, here's hoping I remember my camera tomorrow night. And the party crackers (as in boom, with favors and fortunes and little hats, not the kind for cheese). I'm also doing some pretty awesome sandwiches and a chocolate dessert tray with tuxedo cheesecake and berries. Mmm. Can you say Christmas tummy? Boo!
* Working out, meditating/yoga, pedicure (I hope, I hope) and possibly having my monster eyebrows threaded. If not, this must be done pre-NYE.
* Swirling around in the Christmas dress-- Dillards at Winrock has been partially redeemed, as I found said dress, tried it on, and paid for it in under 10 minutes. It was a Christmas miracle to find a modest one that fit and flattered, and came in at 40 percent off. Ahh! Cue those heavenly strains!

One final thought for the evening: Saw "Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging" last night, post presents, post BYU whipping some trash in the Las Vegas Bowl (maybe the game put me in a grand mood?). My review: Not as good as the books by a long shot, but sweet nevertheless. Georgia wasn't as sassy as I'd hoped, but because she was sweet, there was a better message for the whole thing. Loved Robbie and Tom, though movie Tom was WAY hotter (and I know, this makes me a big time Cougar-- even more than from my BYU days-- because those little chaps are like, what-- 5 years old?), and poor Dave the Laugh got bad treatment. When it comes to the books, I'm definitely on team Dave the L., and I just felt sad about it. Another beef with the movie? WHERE WAS SVEN? Sven is one of the best characters. Someone was listed in the credits as Sven, but I sure as heckfire never saw him in his silver flares, nor did I feel Rosie was nearly bonkers enough. Jas didn't even have her flicky-fringe, and where was Jools? I know she's the B-team of the Ace Gang, but still! And for the 99% of you who have neither read the books/seen the movie nor have any interest in doing so, I'm sorry. Still, I'd give it 3.25 stars.

PS. Jacob got a haircut, and looks cute as cute can be. Even Sister Frances thought so.

1 Comments:

At December 24, 2009 at 1:52 PM , Blogger Melanie said...

Merry Christmas Rachel! Your Eve sounds as busy as mine. Family here to do our traditional gift opening tonight, fly off to Corrales for more family, and back to Los Lunas for midnight mass. Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home