Friday, March 12, 2010

The Sound of Silence is Golden

On Sunday for Nathan's visiting pleasure, President Brown gave his famous dating lecture to the University Branch. Most of us have heard it before, but I never get tired of him passing out his "101 Things To Do Instead of Necking" list, nor would I miss seeing him doing his "flipped-switch" dance. I think Nathan went back to California enlightened and ready to test out his new practical knowledge of how to ask someone on a date.
President Brown suggests that Real Men (as he calls them) should be asking women out on Tuesday for a Friday date. Louise and I have noticed that we never get calls on Tuesday. I'm going out tonight, but it has nothing to do with the lecture. Still, I'm just glad to go.
But do not fear! This dating lesson was not wasted on Uni Branch members. Though I could not speak a word Sunday, I still managed to communicate with a nice boy who also wasn't speaking. Of course, his lack of verbosity is purely by choice, unlike my own, hastened by physical limitations.
For the sake of the story, we'll call this chap Charlie (get it?). Most of you know Charlie already, so I don't know why I'm bothering with anonymity, but I try. Anyway, Charlie is famous for his shoulder shrugs. I've long thought of him as cute, but darn it if he doesn't generally just mime to me. We did have a little bit of a cuddle session at the Tute one day, because he looks very cuddly, but I wouldn't say we know one another well.
One night a few weeks ago he was sitting by one of his friends at FHE. When I came over, I jokingly said something about Charlie and I wanting to be alone. The friend left, which completely made me laugh. I talked, Charlie nodded. I suggested Charlie do something wild and crazy for the upcoming talent show, and he just laughed nervously. I grabbed his hands in mine, willing him to consider it, but to no avail. The socially awkward friend soon returned and asked if we'd had a good chat. Charlie shrugged. I told the friend that we'd held hands. "Is that true?" he asked Charlie. Charlie smiled and nodded. "Are you going to ask Rachel on a date?" Charlie again shrugged his shoulders. The friend then turned to me. "Would you say yes if he asked you?" I didn't want to be too forward, so I just shrugged too. It drove the friend crazy, but I've laughed about it several times since.
So on Sunday, I didn't have a voice, and just sat happily eating my Marshmallow Maties with Nathan at Break the Fast. Charlie sat down across from me to tuck into his cereal... Fruity-O's, I think (sorry I don't know the Malt-o-Meal brands-- I'm not much of a cereal person). I pointed to the little yellow cheat card in Charlie's shirt pocket-- President Brown's cheat-sheet for successful dating. On it are reminders to discuss with your date what the dress code is (grubby, casual, dressy or formal), who will be paying for the date, and how you'd like the date to end (walking to the door, hug, kiss on the cheek, kiss on the lips). Charlie handed his card over and I took the liberty of marking it up. I circled the categories of courtesy date and casual dating, casual dress, alternate paying and then, of course, kiss on the lips. I mean, why not go for the gold, right?
So then Charlie passed over the non-necking activity list (for the record, our branch president did say we could make out, as long as it is in a public place) and I checked off several of the things I found intriguing/fun. I passed it back. He indicated he need the pen I was using (was it rude that I borrowed it from Nathan?) and he wrote on the bottom of the page "Rachel --- ----" for my phone number. It totally made me laugh, but I gave it to him. All in silence. Excellent.
Of course, he hasn't yet called... and I'm not surprised. He doesn't seem like the type of guy who likes talking on the phone. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home