Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Meet Me At The Fair

It's dollars to doughnuts that our state fair is the best state fair in our state. Now, if we had to compete with any OTHER state, I'm guessing the only prize NM would win would be trashiest state fair.
Yes, my friends, it's fair time again, and oh what a time it is. Pam was going on a date with the entire branch (because everyone kept inviting themselves along on our double), and where else would one go in September? Here are some highs (and lows) from the weekend:
Best display: My friend Sister Frances' Mother Theresa Doll:

I love that Sister Fran! She also got a first-place ribbon for a doll that looks like Trish's granddaughter Chloe, but I'm gonna refrain from posting the pick and ruining the surprise.
And that about does it for the highs.
Now, let's talk about the lows, otherwise known as the only reason I love the fair-- the people watching! I regret to report I missed out on some great photo opportunities because I wasn't vigilant enough with the camera. At the rodeo, I saw a great lady with gold boots that really should have been shot (with a camera, of course), and the best (read: worst) outfit was missed because I was holding two cups of lemonade and couldn't get my camera out. Picture sheer white bloomers, black underwear and tank top, glittered flats with leather straps laced up the wearer's legs (very tightly, looking like they were about to cut off her circulation) and a hood with long straps that I'm guessing could be used as a scarf. They weren't attached to a jacket.... it was just a multi-colored hood. It was priceless.
Still, this is what you get:

Pam said my face lit up when I saw this little girl with the tubular headband.

Some nice ink.

And of course, the stuffed animal larger than the winner.
But because I failed with bad pictures of other people, here are some horrible ones of me:

Jeff had fallen asleep during the concert (seriously), so we went out for a snow-cone and a walk and ended up with these pictures. Doesn't he look a bit like Sloth from "The Goonies?"

My branch president asked me how my date went, and I told him Jeff fell asleep, so it's not looking eternal. When I mentioned this to Jeff, he suggested that I should have followed that up with a statement like, "Yes, for now it's just carnal." For the record, it's not, but it was funny.

In Jeff's defense, he told me Sunday night that being with me is like having a visit from a heavenly messenger, or like being translated. Afterwards, he's left exhausted by my presence. I think this was supposed to be a compliment. He's in my good graces because he read entries in my guest book in what I think was supposed to be a Scottish accent. Which, believe it or not, was even more fun than making fun of people at the fair.

4 Comments:

At September 21, 2010 at 11:28 AM , Blogger Sokphal said...

For a moment there I thought the blue stuffed animal was actually someone inside of it and was giving the little boy a hug. Haha!

 
At September 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM , Blogger Stuck but Wondering said...

I miss the fair. There are times I think I should just take time off and go down there. But I guess that will have to wait until next year.

 
At September 21, 2010 at 8:41 PM , Blogger Chad said...

I have some very memorable times at the New Mexico State Fair. I actually miss all of the food choices. By the way, its about time you put some pictures on your blog. More pictures in the future please.

 
At September 24, 2010 at 12:36 PM , Blogger greeniejoey said...

I think you might find this a little interesting.

http://www.endlesssimmer.com/2010/09/21/top-10-new-foods-at-the-2010-state-fairs/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+endlesssimmer%2FFGKD+%28Endless+Simmer+-+A+Food+Blog%29

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home