Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Slowing it Down

So I'm finally willing to admit that I have a problem. I love speeding. So, so much. And it's easy to do in my sick car!




Obviously, this is not MY actual car (though the color is correct)-- you can tell by the lack of crazy air fresheners hanging from the rear view mirror. But you get the idea. And if you see a flash of Deep Lava Red flying by you on I-25, it's probably me. Especially if I'm late for church or a meeting, which I always am.

Anyway, I realize I have a big problem. I'm typically careful in the speed trap towns (ie, Monticello, Utah or Bosque Farms, New Mexico), but I really need to cut my head in and take my foot off the gas, because my favorite sin is an expensive one.

Not only did I get pulled over the other day whilst trying to do a good deed (remember Brady's phone?), but also Friday night after spending some quality time with Jeff. Yes, that Jeff. The good news is, even though I was going really fast through Los Lunas, the Bosque Farms Police Officer just gave me a verbal warning. He was really nice. Actually, the only other time I've gotten away with a warning was another night after spending time with Jeff. So maybe the moral of the story is Jeff is a good luck charm, but I'd best not push it.

Speaking of Jeff, I have to tell you what we did Friday night. We went to see the worst movie ever.


Well, maybe not THE worst movie. I think that prize goes to Sarah Michelle Gellar's "Simply Irresistible." But you understand what I mean. Here's how it went down.

Jeff and I have been trying to hang out a little more frequently so we don't end up having these 8-hour hang-out sessions. They're fun, but not really good for our sleep schedules. We talked about doing something over the holiday weekend, but I was to be out of town, and didn't really think anything would go. Apparently, neither did Jeff, because he made plans to see "The Last Airbender" with his friend Gregory. When we figured out I'd have Friday night in town, Jeff was gracious enough to invite me to tag along, but I initially turned him down. I mean, really. "The Last Airbender?" I think not. However, I was having the world's best hair day, and hated to see it go to waste. Plus also, my horoscope for the day (which I frequently read but rarely heed) suggested that my social plans for the evening would be much more enjoyable if I kept an open mind. That said, I took myself and my great coiffure to Movies 8 for a little fantasy movie time.

I should say the storyline had some potential. And even though the acting and the dialogue were absolutely terrible, there were, to M. Night Shyamalan's credit, some really good looking men to look at from the fire tribe. But the very best thing about the movie was the people in the theatre. It was PACKED! I actually got there late and had to climb over about three people to sit by Gregory (there were six people next to Jeff, and he told me later they probably thought his pants were on fire when he'd made a big deal of saving me a seat). Well, it wasn't long before I noticed the man next to me (not Gregory) laughing at the dumb jokes, making fighting sounds along with all the Tai chi, martial-arts inspired fight scenes, and exclaiming loudly about the "awesomeness" of the film. At a particularly serious point on screen, I looked over to observe the enthusiastic man next to me was wearing a dress! And that's when I realized I was basically in the middle of a big D&D convention.

The other best (movie-related) part of the evening was listening to dress man and company's conversation during the credits.

Dress Man's Friend: Well, that was a good set-up for a sequel.

Dress Man: Yes, well, IF there's a sequel at all. This movie didn't do
that well at the box office, and the critics hated it.

Rachel, sarcastically to herself and under her breath: Gee, I can't imagine why!

Dress Man's Friend: It's just because the anime freaks didn't like it.

At which point I thought to myself, "Chump, who are you calling freak? You hang out with a man dressed like Friar Tuck!"

Anyway, obviously my open-mindedness was rewarded. And I got out of a ticket. And I had great hair. Now that's what I call a Friday Night.

1 Comments:

At September 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM , Blogger Sokphal said...

I heard Airbender was bad! Good to know that I can avoid that movie now. :) Careful with speeding...I've learned my lessons after getting my three tickets in 6 months! Argh!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home