Friday, October 15, 2010

Why I Don't Work in Retail

I greet you, my friends, only half-awake and hunched over in pain. No, I'm not ill. I'm just suffering the effects of the Boho Babes Boutique:2.
Yes, we're at that special time of year again when my mother and her friends all take their myriad art projects to the Sego Farm to sell. It's a great new tradition, but I'd simply forgotten how much work is actually involved. The months of creating are rewarding. I get a rush from planning the advertisements. I like that I get to be the cashier-- it makes me feel important, and I get to talk to everyone that way. But the set up, forget it!
Can you tell I'm a touch grumpy? I think it was because yesterday a bed frame fell over and knocked me in the calf. I didn't cuss, but I surely wanted to. I'd say I refrained because our nun friend, Sister Frances was there, but I'd heard her say "Holy Poo!" (but not poo, ya know) earlier. Let's chalk it up to my excellent self-control (and I never say the cussing poo word-- never have in my entire life). Anyway, it hurt like the devil, and I've got a nice gash and grapefruit-sized bruise for battle scars, but the worst was I couldn't really sleep last night. I'm a side-sleeper, and that just wouldn't do. When my alarm went off this morning, I found myself with my head at the foot of my bed, and crunched up into a weird position. I've not been able to completely straighten out yet. Looks like any money I make may go to Dr. Bender, the chiropractor.
No, no. Things really aren't all that bad. I'm actually just mentally exhausted. Yesterday, there were a dozen women at the farm, and each had their own ideas about how things should be set up. If you walked away for even a minute, you'd find that you're stuff had been displaced. There was a minor car accident when my sister-in-law ran into an over-sized planter (fortunately, it SOUNDED way worse than it actually was). I spent a good portion of my time keeping my nieces off the stairs. The dog next door came to visit, and I had to run it off. And SOMEONE (my mom, let's be honest) hadn't priced any of her merchandise, so that was a bit of an issue.
So, why do we do it, you ask?
Because the results are so worth it.
Because it brings people together.
Because it showcases talent.
Because it helps us all clean out our craft-closets.
Because it's a break from insulation.
I actually love it. But I think I'm gonna love it more Saturday night after it's all over with for another year.

1 Comments:

At October 15, 2010 at 3:28 PM , Blogger Sokphal said...

Wish I could have been there Rachel! You guys are so darn crafty and talented!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home