Thursday, December 31, 2009

Reflections of NYE Past

All over the papers and magazines, you see the 2009 retrospectives and notes on the first decade of the 21st Century. I don't know that this year has been particularly interesting, and there's a lot that's gone on in the decade, so that might be a little overwhelming to attempt. I hereby give myself 3 minutes to sum up:

2009:
* Significantly reduced the average number of boys kissed per year-- I think I only had three. Four if you count the accidental Rudy snog. Snooze.
* Paid off another chunk of the mortgage, but there are several more years of mortgage chunks to go.
* Had lots of good friend visits, including Nate and Andrew (February), dinner with the Wards (January?), Kimball and Chris (April), Jen (July), etc., etc. And by "etc., etc." I mean I was out way too late last night and can't remember much. I need a nap!
* Attended the high school reunion (twice) and had a laugh.
* Discovered how good I am with glitter and foam core.
* Spent some time in the Mediterranean.

1999-2009
* Went to and graduated from the beautiful Brigham Young University
* Learned Polish and spent two summers in the Motherland
* Made sooo many friends-- some of them at the beginning of the decade who I still spend much time with.
* Went to about a million weddings for the above-mentioned friends.
* Worked for a couple of years for an independent film company (which sounds much sexier than it really was).
* Edited a magazine
* Got the crappiest movie ever on "The Today Show" but didn't get to meet Matt Lauer (sad-- even though seeing Dr. Maya Angelou was pretty doggone amazing)
* Kissed many, many boys
* Became a True Aggie
* Built a house
* Became the Queen of Insulation
* Discovered my niche of meticulous eclecticism and Bohemian Gypsy Beauty
* Fell in love, got my heart stomped out, got better
* Became an aunt (twice over!)
* Traveled the world... or at least a good chunk of Europe, dabbling in Asia and Africa.
* Kept dreaming, kept accomplishing.

OK. Three minutes up.
Anyway, 2010 will afford much time to discuss upcoming goals. As this is the last day of the year, I'm looking back with fondness. Even though my 2009 wasn't all that exciting (and actually, it was tough on many fronts), I think it was happy. BUT what I'd really like to pay tribute to are the many New Year's Eve Celebrations of Yore.
You know, the New Year Celebration is one of my personal favorites. Of course, it appeals to my Type A Personality-- I start the year with a clean desk at work, a clean home, a clean conscience, and lots of hope for improving over the next 12 months. Those resolutions don't often stick the way I'd hope, but I like that motivated feeling.
Still, I'd be lying if I didn't acknowledge my mad love for the party the night before.
Oh, they're not always magical. There was the huge snow-storm of 2006, when Albuquerque got 16 inches of snow and the traditional festivities were canceled. That year, I went to my sweet friend Miriam's house, but the storm had me scared enough that I left early. I spent much of that evening with a certain chap BG, and he isn't exactly what you'd call a barrel of monkeys. That was also when I broke up with Lance Romance, who was the best guy ever, but I just wasn't feeling it, and it was a little on the sad side.
Last year's celebration was also a touch sad. It seems like my girls were all out of town, so I danced the night away with Paul, Anthony, Adam and Brandon. Oh, it wasn't all that bad, but sipping sparkling cider with the boys just wasn't the same as the crazy times with the gals.
Still, there have been very grand years as well. Two years ago, on a whim I kissed a boy who would later be known as "Carl's Jr." But there was something very funny about fogging up the windows of Tresann's Crown Victoria. And Sam Hobbs taking pictures of it.
Another fun year in High School, I went with M & L to the dance. My mom took us, along with my little brother and his friend. It was a minivan of madness.
But my favorite New Year Dance memory was probably the "family dance" I went to when I was a lass of 13. My little brother and I went, but our family didn't turn up. Still, we were allowed to go to the Los Lunas Chapel and dance around to Joe Doty and the Good Old Boys. I'd just been to the Copper Bowl in Tuscon to watch BYU beat OU (58-6, I think) and was riding high. I remember thinking I looked super stylish in my blue plaid shirt with an embroidered Mickey Mouse on the pocket (give me a break-- I was 13! And still wearing tapered-leg jeans, which is a crime against humanity). Also, for Christmas that year, Santa had brought a little Victoria Secret Freesia Lotion to my stocking, and I remember being so nervous when I found out my childhood crush Grant Farnsworth was going to be there that I kept hitting the mother's lounge and reapplying. For years, any time I'd smell that lotion, it would remind me of the magical dance. Actually, as I type this, I have to laugh. Grant, did you know what a grand effect you had on me? After the countdown, Joe and the Boys played "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and then Granto kissed me on the cheek. I felt like I'd never wash that side of my face again. The memory of his lips burned on the apple of my cheek for like, an hour. Or apparently more, because that was 15 years ago! Hahaha. I celebrate that moment of perfect innocence and joy to this day. And that's why I love New Year's Eve.
Of course this year, Grant will be kissing his beautiful wife Ashley and adorable baby Kendra. And I'll be planting one on several different chaps... but not on the cheek. Too bad they don't make that freesia lotion anymore.
Happy 2010 everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home