Friday, March 26, 2010

"Failure" Never Tasted So Good

So look at me-- second post in less than 24 hours! Whoot Whoot! I'm back!
Here's the deal. One of the reasons I've not posted more in the recent past is that a week ago I had a job interview with a company of remarkable reputation. It was an honor to have interviewed with them, but I've had so much trepidation regarding the possibility of another job. The insulation business and my family need me. Well, just moments ago, I got the rejection email, and it is a total weight off my shoulders! I mean, it would have been nice, but there were going to be a lot of concessions on my part-- a 25 percent pay cut, scheduling nightmares, no social life, etc. My plan, were I ever able to feel good about it, would have been to work 60 hours a week. It would have made making mortgage payments a touch easier, but this is really so good. Happy, happy news!
In a way, I'm not used to job rejection. Oh, I didn't get a job initially in college, and came in as a second choice. I wasn't offended. I just used it as an opportunity to prove myself, and I left the position with a reputation of being the best intern the office had ever had. I'm usually so driven and motivated, but I have to say, my heart just never was in this.
The only bad part of it all is the disappointment others feel in my behalf. I know there are a lot of people out there who are so convinced of my skills and talents (much more convinced than I am) who probably think (and some who are very vocal about it) that I'm wasting my time working for the family business. In my mind, nothing could be further than the truth. I LOVE the double-take I get when I tell folks I work in construction. Those who know me in real life understand this-- you usually don't see some indie-wannabe like me doing a job like this. I'm a total poser. I dress like I should work in a record store; my interests keep me in artistic locales. Oh, it is so sweet to have this surprising profession!
What's more, the thought of being away from my little nieces was incredibly painful. Yes, yes. They are little monsters sometimes, and by the end of the day on Wednesdays, I'm completely worn out. But there's nothing so fulfilling in my life as having Paizlee's little fingers wrapped around one of mine while she's sleeping, or the hugs I get from Zoey after I paint her nails (she is under the impression I am her personal manicurist/pedicurist). I hate the thought of not being in their lives in a big way. Until I have children of my own, they let me feel and utilize those maternal instincts, and it gives me such satisfaction! Extra money isn't worth missing out on watching their progress.
So, life goes on just the way I think it should. I am happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home